Chapter 23: Poppy's Reflection

En başından başla

Yeah, attracted to the same woman.

Sebastian pressed his lips together at the sentence given and squinted with a nod, wanting to seem calm about the idea of having the same preferences as Joshua.

"Both share strengths in observing and note-taking. I believe with an exchange of research and informative case talk, more findings can be gathered on the case." Matilda Weasley explained.

No, thank you. Sebastian wanted to say. No fucking thanks.

"Oh, right," Sebastian kept a half smile-half no smile as he confronted Joshua Rogers across from him at that table.

Joshua Rogers stared back with a smile. And it wasn't no 'we're working together' smile. It was a cocky smile. A 'I might be better at your job' smile.

They were both good at reading people and Sebastian could read the false advertisement the American man gave him.

"Perhaps the discussion could be held another time. I'm quite busy with other priorities." Sebastian informed.

"Oh, we sure understand you're busy with hosting Quidditch temporarily for the month of October and teaching classes. We do not want to put much weight on you, Mister Sallow," Matilda smiled with encouragement.

"That does sound like too many priorities," Joshua Rogers added in, his body posture leaning in more on the table as he tried to take the position, "I'm sure you don't want to overstress yourself, Mister Sallow."

"No need." Sebastian said back in a blunt tone, "I'm used to setting many tasks."

Joshua Rogers smirked, leaning back in his seat.

"I could use a spare hand. I don't mind." Sebastian now turned to the headmistress.

Joshua Rogers fingers wiggled underneath his seat at the professor's words.

Penelope Silverthorn sweated at the interaction exchange and stared down at Joshua Rogers fingers. She had to elbow him to signal a stop. That it wasn't a game. It was a serious case.

Aesop Sharp's clearance of the throat brought the conversation into a spark. It had brought an off feeling in the surroundings after Sebastian and Joshua's communication.

"I'd like to bring up the topic of the potion use," Aesop brought a finger, "I'd like to inform, since the unfortunate...news yesterday morning, the dosage of Tranquart has been increased. So far, the ill students are doing well." He nodded, "Thank you for taking the time to conjure more, Sallow."

Sebastian Sallow gave a hesitant nod to give his welcome on his success.

"Miss Silverthorn," Matilda Weasley called Penelope out. Penelope shuffled in her seat and stared up, "How have you been holding up? If it's alright to ask, regarding your findings and magic."

Penelope stood silent for a moment, not knowing how to bring up how things really have been in her life since the case was opened. The nightmares, the unsettling magic use, the mistakes, the professor —

"She seems alright, if I may say," Joshua's voice suddenly entered in, looking over at Penelope, "Aren't you?"

Again, Sebastian's quill tapped on his journal, keeping his posture firm as he had a disagreement on letting Joshua speak over Penelope that way.

It was surprising to see Penelope Silverthorn even allowed that. She would absolutely hate when people would talk over her, specifically, Garreth Weasley in their years at Hogwarts. Yet, it seemed strange to Sebastian Sallow to see her allow it.