Chapter 3 - Finding A New Home

Amaris POV

Not long after the coward made his quick getaway, I decided it was useless to stay any longer. Taking a hot shower, I frantically scrubbed my body to wash away the beauty of last night that had turned to the anguish of today. Turning to face the shower head, silent tears continued to flow. Sinking to my knees, my forehead touching the cool tiles, I lost myself to the raw torment.

He didn't return. I am alone. Ashamed. Abandoned.

As I felt the heart-shattering tug of the mate bond in my chest, I curled into the fetal position and allowed the shower to beat upon me until the water became ice cold. Numbly, I stood to reach for the towel. 

He isn't coming back. 

At that moment, I felt the tingle of the bond with my pack snap. Alpha Black had released me to my new life. Straightening myself, I washed my tear stained face a final time, looked at myself in the mirror and said, "You are strong! You are worthy of love! I love you! I can do this alone! I need no one!" The words became stronger as I said them until I practically shouted the last sentence. "I need no one!"

Turning away, I go to my bag that was thankfully still packed, and dressed in a nice pair of skinny jeans and a tank. Brushing out my long black hair. I paused for a moment to put on a little natural-looking makeup to help with the pallor of my face. Plastering a bright smile on my face, I picked up my bag and headed to my car.

The place was crowded at this time of day. Echoes of "mate" still bouncing around. Others finding their eternity. I hoped their stories were more successful than mine. Stepping off the elevator into the lobby, I saw Devon and his family checking out at the front desk.  I notice Devon stiffen, but he never turned my way.  "Well," I said to myself, holding my head proudly, "I can do this alone! I need no one!" as I passed by them mere yards away out the glass front doors.

The scent of flowers on the breeze so heady, a waive of nausea hit me.  This day was  just as beautiful as it had been yesterday. The pain striking my chest at the thought of the day before.  Tears formed in my eyes as I struggled for control.  Ironically, it  felt as if it should be raining. It was raining in my heart.  I, however, was stronger than this. I walked over to my new car and placed the bag in the trunk. 

I couldn't go back to my pack. The humiliation alone would be the destruction of soul and any shadow left of Zoe.  No, I had to find my place in this world.  And, since Alpha Black thought I would be going with Devon; while Devon obviously had no plans of my doing so. I could leave and no one would be the wiser.  I had a year to establish myself.  Placing the keys in the ignition and pulling out, driving wherever my whimsy led. 

I felt a slight prick of the fragile bond with Devon slipping away and I didn't look in the rearview mirror  even once.  "If you're reading this on teenfic site or similar ones, you're reading on a mirror site. To read this (and other stories) by the actual author for free, go to Wattpad/Mellie_readsnwrites."

COPYRIGHT © 2024 by Mellie_readsnwrites

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form by any means, including photocopying, recording or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author.

************

By the time I felt the need to stop, I was miles away at a small college town. Blinking and becoming aware of myself, I pulled into a nearby parking lot. After ensuring that the doors are locked, I lay my seat back and close my eyes. Since it is night, I easily fall into a fitful, but necessary sleep.

The sun streaming through the windows awakens me to my sickening situation, the next morning.   As I look around at the strip mall where I have parked, I notice it is full of people walking to the various shops. Looking at the clock on the dash, I find it is midmorning. I really must have been exhausted to sleep so long. I step out of the car and pull at the wrinkles on my clothes, combing my long black tresses with my hands. I decide that a little walk is exactly what I need.

As I stroll through the strip mall, I am pulled to a storefront with a help wanted sign in the window. A small building that reads The Healing Hand. Through the window I see several tall shelves behind the counter that look like an antique apothecary. The shelves are loaded with decorative, unique jars and bottles of differing sizes. Back home in Little Silver Creek, I had trained with the doctors and healers. As a matter of fact, I had all my certificates and degrees that I had earned in my portfolio in the car. I had a talent for working with my hands and frequently made potions and treatments, in addition to hands-on healings. I was told I was gifted. I planned to study it further after my mating, until that dream had obviously vanished.

Going inside, I peruse the shelves and am surprised to find that I actually know how to make most of the items on the shelf.  Not only are there blends for healing, but there are actual healing herbs to make your own remedies. Lotions for skin ailments, potions for stomach upset. Even creams to enhance your skin. There was more selection than I ever dreamed of and the array was fascinating. I had never seen a ready-made shop such as this. There wasn't a large quantity of each remedy, as I assumed they would lose their potency with time, but the customers were snatching up products like Black Friday at Thanksgiving.

"Julia, I am so glad you are restocked on this." a nearby woman exclaimed as she snatched up a bottle that read Nocturnal Sleep. "My insomnia has been running rampant."

"I can't keep that one in stock." said the woman behind the counter, who I assumed was Julia. "It has to be fresh to work. I think the whole town suffers from insomnia." Both ladies laugh at the joke.

As the press of customers dies down, I approach the proprietress. I can tell by her scent that she is a wolf shifter, as are most of the patrons in the store. "Hi. My name is Amaris.  I would like to inquire about the help wanted sign in the window. Can I get an application?"

The older woman with kind eyes looked at me. "Hi, I'm Julia." she smiled. "I don't have any applications. We really are informal. What are your qualifications?"

"I have been training since I graduated high school, three years now. I have certifications, knowledge and experience in making many of the medicinal products you have for sale in your store. Including, a good insomnia blend that is shelf stable." I smile. "I also have experience with hands-on healings, working under doctors. I plan to sign up for university in the fall. I just need to get a job and find a place to live." I word vomited.

Julia smiled, "I can give you a try. Bring me your certificates and any letters of recommendations that you have and we can sort out the paperwork this afternoon. I have an extra bedroom in the apartment upstairs. It can be part of your wages.  If everything goes well, you can start tomorrow."

"That would be great! Thanks Julia!" I walk out the door to text Dr. Shannon. She may not know where I am exactly, but I can still get her to email me a letter of recommendation regarding my work and experience there.  

And that's how the rest of my life began.