Claire

23rd of August 2036

Sherman Oaks, CA

No matter what time Alistair fell asleep, his body always woke up early. Very slowly, he opened his eyes and felt the tender embrace of his sleeping husband.

As his vision gradually reached its fullness, Alistair noticed the clock on the nightstand. It was 7:28, meaning their alarm would go off in two minutes. Forcing himself out of his husband's arms, Alistair turned it off to avoid the loud commotion.

"Babe?" a sleepy voice muttered. "What are--"

Alistair rolled over to face his husband. He couldn't help but smirk at the man that lay in front of him--Spencer hated mornings.

"Time to wake up..." Alistair told him. Spencer lazily opened his eyes, and his husband gave him a soft peck on the lips.

Rolling onto his back, Spencer stretched himself out. He then crossed his arms over his face to block the morning light seeping through the window.

"I can't move," he mumbled.

Alistair placed his palm on his husband's chest. Spencer groaned softly when he felt the massage to his abdomen.

"Don't make me get Claire involved..." Alistair warned, laughing softly. "I'll have her jump on you again."

As if on cue, the bedroom door opened and in walked their youngest daughter.

"There's our big girl!" Alistair greeted, holding his arms out to let Claire onto the bed.

But as soon as she hopped up and came into his embrace, Alistair's smile faded. Usually Claire was a bundle of morning sunshine, but for some reason she was quiet.

"What's wrong pumpkin?" Alistair asked.

Spencer immediately snapped out of his state, and sat up worriedly. It may have been early in the morning, but his girls and husband were his sensitive side...and he couldn't stand to see them upset.

"What is it, Claire?" Spencer asked, running a hand over her ginger-colored curls.

Without an immediate answer, the 5-year-old's lip began to tremble, and tears filled her eyes.

"Daddy, Papa..." she squeaked. "Don't make me go."

"Oh Claire," Alistair pressed, pulling her in tighter.

With her head now against Alistair's chest, their little girl gripped the front of Spencer's t-shirt and let her tears fall.

"Why don't you want to go?" Spencer asked. He undid her hand from his shirt and held it, her tiny fingers clinging tightly around his.

"Tell us, baby girl," Alistair stated. He rubbed her back gently and anxiously looked at his husband.

"Don't be scared, Claire," Spencer told her. "You're going to make so many friends...and you're so smart..."

"No..." she muttered.

"Daddy's right, pumpkin," Alistair added, carefully sitting them up.

Claire looked down at her knees and worked to hold back the rest of her tears. Her parents shared thoughtful glances for a few moments. Spencer bit his lip and let his husband take the lead.

"I bet you'll feel better when you put on your new dress..." Alistair suggested. He placed a finger under her tiny chin, lifting her head so he could meet her eyes. "Remember how excited you were when you picked it out with Auntie Megan?"

The four-year-old nodded, but didn't smile.

"C'mon Claire," Spencer encouraged. "Let's go put it on...your sister hasn't seen it yet!"

Claire nodded again, still not smiling.

Spencer knew what he had to do to cheer her up. He jumped out of bed and ran to the other side. Quickly he tickled her tummy, causing their daughter plop onto her back with a squeal.

"Let's go!" Spencer exclaimed. With one strong scoop of his arm, he threw a now giggling Claire over his shoulder and ran her out of the room.

When the door slammed shut, Alistair sighed contently and laid back against his pillow. He figured a few more minutes of rest would be a good idea. Since Spencer had taken Claire, it meant that Alistair would have to wake Cassie...and she hated mornings even more than Spencer.