New Rule

"Blaze!"

"Ximocu!" The yellow blast hit Mateo's red shield directly after it was fully up. Now, as the stream was continuous, it became a matter of wills and endurance. Elena and Mateo shared a determined smirk, though the latter was a tad cockier than the former. He could do this for as long as it-

She stopped blasting his shield and used her vanish. He let his shield drop only after racking his brain for a spell to reveal her whereabouts. Then he heard footsteps behind him and had a better idea. Twisting his tamborita, he turned around and hit it. "Cachoa!" A large wind had Elena falling into the fountain. With a snicker as she stood, he ended the spell and got ready to cast another.

"Glow!" she said, blinding him. "Envision six Elena's!" When he could finally see again, there were seven Elena's standing in the fountain. Each was dripping water just as the real Elena would be. Only one was currently making ripples in the fountain however.

"Solaza!" He directed at the real Elena. She had no choice but to deflect it right back at him and lose her concentration. Unfortunately Mateo had to roll away from his own blast, hitting the rose bushes. "Ow! Thorns!"

"It's about to get worse- Bloom!" The roses started growing all around him, becoming a very thorny trap.

"Llévaluq!" Mateo floated up before he was completely covered, sending a smirk down at Elena. She had jumped out of the water with a splash and tried to use vanish to figure out what to use next. He looked around for any sign of her but didn't dare lower himself down. In the air he had the advantage of seeing everything. Flying around had gotten easier over the past year, like he had always been doing it. And after one circle of the garden, he found the trail of water she left. "Conglari!"

Elena yelped as she dodged the freezing blast, not realizing that he hadn't been aiming for her. The water she had been dripping froze beneath her feet and she slipped. The same bushes she had made grow to trap Mateo now trapped her. She was visible now, and was struggling against the vines while her wizard landed in front of her. He twisted his tamborita back in place, twirling it and putting it in his back satchel while Zuzo appeared next to her.

"Well your majesty, it looks like you lost this round," her chanuel said, flipping upside down with a smile. She glared at him.

"I can still fight!" Elena said, trying to use her foot to grab her fallen scepter. Mateo was quicker, flipping it up to his grasp. Her head rolled back as she groaned, as much as she'd do to admit defeat.

"Desparci," Mateo said, aiming at the brush. Her arms were finally free though her but now fell on cold ice. "Don't worry," He tossed her scepter to her and she caught it easily, the stone at the top glowing. "I'll brighten your day." She giggled as Zuzo rolled his eyes and put a paw over his head. He then disappeared and reappeared next to the wizard with a disapproving shake of his head.

"You've been waiting all day to say that, haven't you?" The spirit guide deadpanned. Mateo chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Maybe.. Oh, let me help," he said, grabbing Elena's hands to help her up and keep her from slipping. Unfortunately, he started slipping as well and pulled her back down with him. He hit his head on the ground while Elena fell on his chest- he hoped that she couldn't hear how fast his heart was beating. "Are- are you ok?"

She laughed, pushing herself up with a hand on her head. "I'm ok." Mateo followed, trying to not think about the fact that she was sitting on his lap. Or that Zuzo had just reappeared in his eye line, waggling his eyebrows and giving a knowing smirk. Mateo wished he could give the spirit fox a glare back without alerting Elena of his mood. At least he didn't have a light up outfit like she did.