Chapter 2: Welcome to The Hazbin Hotel

The hotel had really changed. It looked very cozy, at least in the entrance hall. The walls were decorated with elegant red wallpaper and golden chandeliers bathed the hall in a romantic, warm light. No wonder. Charlotte's favourite colour was red, and she had always been romantic. However, the counter for checking into the hotel was not manned. Once again: somewhat functional staff. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a short young woman in maid's clothes came running up and jumped towards Charlotte.

"I've cleaned the whole hotel twice today!"

"Oh, Niffty." Charlotte laughed and patted Niffty gently on the head twice. "Then you can go now. I'm sure Thomas is waiting."

"Thomas?" Niffty asked with a grin. "He's old news again. My new one is called Pete."

"Weren't you still with Thomas two weeks ago?" Vaggie cut in.

"No, his name was Tim!" Sophie was taken aback and looked to the side, embarrassed. Niffty broke away from Charlotte, blew her a kiss and left the hotel with the door slamming. Sophie scratched the back of her head in embarrassment and clutched the handle of her suitcase.

"What a-...personality." She finally said. Charlotte laughed heartily and put her arm around Sophie's shoulder.

"Niffty has a twisted little mind. But also, irreplaceable. She's our housekeeper and incredibly good at tidying and cleaning! There's not a room where you can't eat off the floor. So, check in and I'll show you to your room." Sophie nodded her thanks and wrote her name in the guest book. She paused for a moment as she read a name written in a lively style.

"Angel Dust..." she read quietly. Vaggie leaned next to her at the counter and waved her off.

"Oh, him. Don't dare call him Anthony when he's around. That only pisses him off. He's a porn star."

"Oh", Sophie said, writing down her name in the book. "You guys have really interesting people here."

"Our only guest who doesn't even pay for his room. He only uses his room to sleep in because his asshole boss barely lets him leave work. Don't even get me started on the pile of coke in his room."

"Oh, dear." Sophie said and closed the book.

After an hour, Sophie had fully arrived and put her things away in the closet. She threw herself onto the bed, which was so soft as a feather. She felt like she was lying on clouds. The room smelled of lavender and roses, which adorned the table by the window. Charlotte had made a real effort with the hotel. Her father must be incredibly proud of her. This thought made Sophie wistful, and she drew her knees up. Her father had always been proud of her too. But right now, she missed him more than ever. She then closed her eyes and fell asleep.

When she opened her eyes again, a red light flooded her room. With slightly narrowed eyes, she looked out of her window and saw a large, illuminated sign saying, "On Air". It was so bright and warm that the light from the sign appeared to be a sunset. Sophie leaned over the railing of her balcony and looked at a small house right next to the hotel. The neon sign was shining from there. She could see that someone was sitting in a large chair with thick headphones on their head. She gazed dreamily down further and watched the slender shape.

When there was a knock at her door, she was so startled that she almost fell over at the front, but quickly caught herself and stood bolt upright. She smoothed her bow tie and opened the door. A pair of different-coloured eyes looked at her.

"Oh, doll! So, you're our new guest. Angel Dust." He said in an exaggeratedly friendly manner and held out his dainty hand to Sophie. Sophie crossed her arms and scowled at him.

"Hey, girlie-...that wasn't my finest manner on the train, I admit. But if we're going to live here together, wouldn't it be better to look at me nicer than to be poisonous towards each other? Come down to the bar. We want to listen to Alastor's radio show. I just hope we have the expensive booze and not some cheap shit..." Angel Dust sighed and put one hand in his pocket as he held his cigarette in a very tempting position with the other. He jerked his head so that his bangs fell back into position. "Put something nice on, doll. This is one of those things here. You've got five minutes."