xliii ; the deadline

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, but, then again, he can take himself." Harry joked quietly, and the two boys burst into soft laughter. Jupiter looked up from her work, and looked across the table at Harry. He caught her glaring eye, and quickly stopped laughing.

"It might interest you to know that Neville's already got someone." Hermione hissed, and Ron let his moppy head fall into his hands.

"It's not you, is it?" Harry asked Jupiter, his grip tight on his quill.

"No. Why do you care, Potter?" Jupiter asked, crossing my arms as his eyes widened.

"Er- I- Uh- I was just um... I was just wondering." He muttered, lowering his head back down to his work, very red in the face.

Fred slid a piece of paper over to Ron.

"Get a move on or all the good ones will have gone." Ron read out loud, then aggressively through the paper back. "Who you going with, then?"

Fred smirked, and threw the hall of paper at Angelina Johnson. She slowly looked over, extremely annoyed with him.

"Do you want to go to the ball with me?" Fred mimed, and Angelina's eyes softened.

"Yeah, okay." She smiled, then turned back towards her friends. Fred winked at the four of them, then started his work again.

"Oi, you two." Ron whispered to Hermione and Jupiter. "You're both girls. Just come with us."

Before Hermione and Jupiter could yell at him, Harry began to aggressively tap Ron's shoulder, then cover the back of his head.

Snape hit Ron in the head with his book, then Harry when he started laughing.

"Come on, it's one thing for a bloke to go alone." Ron shrugged as Snape slumped away. "For a girl, it's just sad."

"I won't be going alone because believe it or not, someone's asked me." Hermione growled, then stood up and handed Snape her completed work. "And I said yes." She added, before stomping down the hall.

"Bloody hell." Ron whispered to Harry and Jupiter. "She's lying, right?"

"If you say so." Harry shrugged quietly.

"Jove, you'd know. She's got to be batty." Ron said to Jupiter, and she rolled my eyes at him.

"I don't know, actually. I also don't know why it's so hard for you to believe. You're not the only one that fancies Hermione, Ron." Jupiter scoffed, and he turned insanely red. Harry snickered next to him, and hid it in his hand.

"And you, why are you laughing?" Jupiter snapped, turning to Harry. "Did you think I'd just fall at your feet waiting for you to ask me at the last minute? Much less have Ron ask me as a last resort?"

"No-"

"So why didn't you ask me?"

"I... I dunno." Harry muttered, looking around them awkwardly. "I didn't think you'd say yes."

"Merlin, Harry, of course I would've said yes." Jupiter hissed, piling up her work to hand in. "Do you know how much I fancy you? Honestly, it's quite embarrassing."

"I wasn't sure..."

"Yeah, well because you apparently don't have any balls, I reckon I've just got to find someone else to go with." Jupiter snapped, standing up from the table.

"What?" Harry gawked as Jupiter handed my work to Snape.

"Times up, Potter. You can't ask me to the ball after I yell at you for it. I'll see you at the ball tomorrow." Jupiter said, stomping down the hall.