CHAPTER 11

I sit with knees pulled to my chest, hearing my own breathing amidst the silence in the room. It's been days since it happened—I told them the truth. I thought it would be easy, but look where I am now, curling up on the floor.

Yesterday, I just found out Denisse's family left the neighborhood without any word. Although I have tried to apologize for lying, it seemed that they were avoiding me, even my parents. I waited at their gate, but no one wanted to talk with me.

On the other hand, CJ's parents went to us and apologized on behalf of him. Such a douchebag. He sent Tita Linda and Tito Clint, instead of himself. As of now, they wouldn't forgive their own son for treating me as an alibi to hide their secret. Although they already knew the fact that he looks at Denisse more than just a friend, they didn't see this coming, including me.

When they told me he was having a hard time and needed some space, I didn't believe much of it—not until he also wanted to leave this place, just like Denisse did.

He will soon come and talk with me before they leave for good. That's what they have said.

At school, Denisse didn't show up. Neither did Clark. Their friends went to me, interrogating me and then, I found myself on a hot seat. I didn't have that much energy to entertain them, and so I denied everything, as if I didn't know what was happening. I pretended as if nothing happened.

After class, I walked past the gates when suddenly, I recognized a van waiting across the street. There, I found Denisse, in her denim jacket over a floral printed dress. This time, she was wearing tinted glasses.

At first, I didn't want to go near her.

But, I knew she wanted to talk to me.

I crossed the busy street, and when I reached the back of the van, she hugged me. "I'm sorry, Blaise. I'm sorry," she cried, while I held back my tears just so I won't collapse again.

"I'll be flying to Taiwan tonight. You'll be the only one I will tell about this," she told me.

"Denisse, sina Tita—"

"Blaise, I'll be okay. Don't worry about me. After all, I realized na mas masakit pala ang ginawa namin sa'yo. You didn't deserve this, Blaise. You don't, and I'm sorry."

Someone from the van called Denisse. "Denisse, alis na tayo."

For one last time, she smiled at me, amidst all the heartaches in us. "I will miss you, Blaise. You will forever be my bestfriend."

Then, she handed me a folded paper. "Can you give this to him? Just to say goodbye—And please, don't ever tell him kung saan kami pupunta. Ayaw kong iwan niya sina Tita at Tito kung nagkataong gusto niyang sumunod sa amin," she asked.

I didn't want to do her another favor, but I knew it would be the last time she'll ask before finally leaving the country. "I will. I promise."

She went back to the van and left me. I watched them drive down the road until they vanished from my sight. With a heavy sigh, I decided to go home alone. Upon reaching our neighborhood, I walked past their house—now empty, dark, and locked with for-sale signage hanging in the gates. I bet she'll be having the best of her life in Taiwan.

Then, I headed to his house. There, I was hesitant, but before I could leave, Ate Pechay caught me. "Oh, Blaise. Andyan ka pala," she greeted.

I raised the letter in my hand which she noticed immediately.

"Sulat? Para kay—Ah, g ko na."

She approached me and instead of taking the letter, she opened the gate. "Ikaw na maghatid sa kanya n'yan," she said.

"Ate naman—"

"Sige na. Ilang araw na 'yon nakakulong sa kwarto, animo'y bilanggo na may inaantay na bibisita sa kanya," she added.

She pulled me until we reached their living, and to the bedrooms upstairs. Before I could even speak, she knocked on the door. "CJ, may bisita ka. Si Blaise."

Right after she said that, we heard pacing footsteps inside. I wanted to turn my back just so I wouldn't see his face again, but as soon the door opened, I was greeted by him, still disordered in his messy pajamas and with swollen eyes.

"Blaise," he called my name, with his voice that got hoarse. He fell to his knees, which alerted us. I moved quickly to catch him before he could fall to the floor. There, I felt his burning skin.

"Ate Pechay, nilalagnat si CJ," I told her.

She called his parents, while I called mine. I was shaking while dialing Papa's phone. "Pa, andito ako kina Blaise. Nilalagnat siya. Kailangan natin siyang ihatid sa ospital."

Papa quickly went into the house and helped me carry CJ. What waited us outside was Mama, already in the driver's seat. As soon as we got into our old mini truck, she drove out of the neighborhood and went to the nearest hospital. CJ was unconscious in my arms, with his head still burning. I tried to wake him up. "CJ! CJ!"

His hand twitched, which I quickly held. "CJ, kapit lang. Malapit na tayo," I told him.

The moment we reached the hospital premises, we rushed him to the emergency room, and were greeted by nurses. He was laid down on a wheeled stretcher, before he was sent to the room and we waited in the lobby area. "Okay ka lang, Blaise?" Mama asked, even though I'm not the one she should be asking that.

I just heaved a sigh as an answer.

It was not so long when his parents arrived, with worries in their faces. They hurriedly went into the room, calling his name. I hope his parents would still forgive his ass. He has done a lot of things in his life that always put Tita Linda and Tito Clint in distress. He's, indeed, a troublemaker.

After a few moments, Tito Clint went outside the room. "Salamat sa pagdala kay CJ dito," he thanked us.

"Kay Blaise ka dapat magpasalamat, Clint. Siya 'yong tumawag sa akin para dalhin si CJ dito," Papa said.

"Pasensya ka na, Blaise. Naabala ka na naman dahil kay CJ."

"Walang anuman po," I replied.

After a small talk, we decided to leave CJ in their hands. There at the van, I felt like they were waiting for me to initiate the conversation.

"Sorry sa istorbo, Pa, Ma," I broke the silence.

"Bakit ka nga pala and'on kina CJ? Buti nga, napagpasyahan mong pumunta do'n. Kung 'di dahil sa'yo, baka mas lumala pa lagay niya," Mama asked.

"Eh kasi po..."

"Blaise, sabihin mo ang totoo ha," Papa reminded me.

I told them the truth—about Denisse, and the letter she wanted to give Clark. They were quite surprised upon hearing about her after their leaving. There, they advised me to give the letter after CJ goes back home.

I know, they are still mad at him for what he did, but I'm glad they helped me tonight.