𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 - 00

Start from the beginning

She squeezed my hand, and I recoiled inwardly, resenting the sympathy everyone seemed to be showering upon me.

Did I ask for their pity? I loathed it more than anything.

But Maa... she was right.

Her condition couldn't be ignored any longer.

"I'm proud of you," Ekta continued, her voice laden with emotion.

"For the first time, you've made me believe that you love this family, even if you don't show it."I stopped in my tracks, refusing to accept her words, yet knowing deep down that she was right.

This bitch--She was trying to manipulate me into showing emotion, but I refused to give her satisfaction. I wasn't defeated yet, no matter how much she tried to mock me.

"Just focus on getting me down there," I said tersely, refusing to let them see me cry and prove them right.

Yes, I may be perceived as bitchy, marrying him for his money. And perhaps that was the truth. It was easier to maintain my image than to be labeled as sacrificing myself for my family. I was ready to embrace the label of a gold digger if it meant preserving my image.

When we finally reached the pavilion, Ekta left my side.

Veer bhai looked at me, his expression devoid of happiness.
I knew he was missing him, and respected him deeply.

I couldn't imagine the pain he must be feeling, knowing that his idol had left him in such a manner.

He stepped forward, whispering, "Thank you, that's all I wanted to say," before pulling me into a side hug and walking away.

I scanned the crowd, relieved to find that Niharika wasn't present. For the first time, I felt the pain she must have felt standing in her shoes.

I felt guilty.

No one else knew what I had done to her, but I did.

I couldn't muster the courage to face her, no matter how shameless I had become.

"Anu is here, Maa," Isha Di announced, and I looked in her direction, my lips parting in disbelief.

I couldn't imagine the pain my mother must be going through.I looked at her, hoping to meet her eyes one last time before I became something I'd always feared-a nightmare.

I had practiced smiling in front of the mirror so many times, just so I could look at her and offer a reassuring smile.

"Maa, look at her," di said again.

I waited, my smile slowly forming, but my mother didn't look at me once.

She just stared down, her eyes devoid of words, holding back her grief.

She had become a living, breathing corpse to all of us.

And that white attire she wore strained my eyes the most.

Why was it mandatory to wear white after such a tragedy?I turned away from her.

Before taking my final steps into the pavilion, I surveyed the hall.

The entire place resembled a graveyard, with only a few close attendees who maintained a ceremonial silence-as if in mourning.

And why wouldn't they? We had all lost someone....

"I don't need your name to define me!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

As soon as I heard what he wanted me to do.My life wasn't a playground, and even if he thought he could control me, my limits were beyond that.