31. no one likes crowley

Start from the beginning

"(Y/N)," He said warningly.

I groaned, rubbing my hand to get the prickly sensation away. "I know, I know."

Jack looked at our interaction with confusion. "I didn't know you were close."

"We're not," Ruggie said, deflecting an attack with wind magic.

"We're actually married."

Ruggie lightly pushed me away. "Shut the hell up and get packing!"

I snickered and quickly turned around to help Susan with the boxes. Thankfully there wasn't much to carry, and we were running out of the dining hall within a minute.

Susan started having hip pains so she was carried by Jack, which left me with the two boxes.

"Hand me a box," Ruggie said.

"Thanks, but I'm good," I said with a laugh. "They're are pretty light."

He glanced ahead before stating, "I saw you chuck the entire cash register in there."

"Yeah? As I said, pretty light."

As Ruggie gave me an unreadable look, I noticed Jack looking around strangely.

"Jack? Is anything wrong?" I asked.

"Do you guys smell that?" He said, furrowing his brows. "I think it's blot."

Ruggie and I exchanged a look and weighed our options on how to answer. We seemed to have a similar conclusion in mind— gaslight and gatekeep.

"What? You're crazy." Ruggie laughed unconvincingly.

I cleared my throat. "We'll... fill you in later. Let's just get to the field for now."

Jack seemed to be satisfied enough with our answer, and we continued our trip to the field. As we made our way through the school, we ran into other groups of ghosts, which Ruggie fended off well enough for us to change our route. We also noticed other groups of students making their way out of the main building and onto the field.

I put down the boxes on a nice grassy area and rolled my shoulder. "Damn, it's been a while since I ran like that."

"I'll see if anyone knows what's going on," Ruggie said, putting his arms behind his head.

"Same," I nodded, then noticed a certain redhead on the field. "Oh, isn't that Riddle?" He seemed to be exchanging farewells with to two other students, who began to walk away.

Ruggie frowned. "You know everyone from NRC, don't you? Anyway, see ya later!"

Jack seemed to have found his own group of friends to talk with, so I quickly told Susan that I would find out what's going on and made my way towards the Heartslabyul Housewarden.

"Hey Riddle!" I said, from behind him, gaining a surprised look.

His eyes seemed to soften. "(Y/N). It's been a while."

"Sure has been." I sighed. "Do you know what's happening? We were attacked by ghosts in the cafeteria."

"I'm afraid I don't know," He said with the shake of his head. "I was in the auditorium with some other Housewardens, and we too were attacked by ghosts. I apologize for this chaos occurring on a day you visit."

"Don't worry about it," I said with a wave. "It wasn't something in your control."

He chuckled. "I suppose that's true."

A different voice yelled from farther away. "Hey, ain't that (Y/N)?"

I turned to see Ace, Deuce and Yuu all walking in our direction. I noticed a grey cat walking beside them, and some bandages wrapped around Yuu's head.