Chapter 10 - The Enchanted Forest

Start from the beginning

I walk for a little while through the forest, keeping the road in sight, and when the sky dims, I move down and find a spot near the river to rest. I build a fire that will last long enough to cook my food and keep me warm until I fall asleep. My hat disappeared in one of the portals but the hooded cloak I've had for so many years is large enough to cover my body and my head, with enough left to lie on while I sleep.

- - -

About halfway through the night, I'm woken up by the breaking of twigs sounding somewhere behind me. I think it's just me, but there's another crack, and I jump to my feet and prepare my sword; the fire is long out, but the glow of the moon and the stars illuminate the open area. There are quiet voices behind me, and I whip around to see two people. A woman, dressed in white and light brown and fur, with messy ebony hair, white skin and a kind face; the man following is blond, dressed in black and red leather with a sword in hand while she holds a bow. I step back, only to step on multiple twigs - that gets their attention. I tense at the sound before I slip behind the tree I had been sitting against hours before. I watch as they come towards my little campsite with their weapons at the ready.

"Who's there?" He calls out as they come down the slope.

"What do you want?" I ask as I step out with my sword pointed at them.

They both turn to face me - my hood is up, so they can't see my face.

"Who are you?" She asks, hands up in surrender. "We won't hurt you if you won't hurt us."

Without lowering my sword, I reach up and pull my hood down - as soon as they see who I am, they lower their own weapons, but mine doesn't move.

"You're not from here, are you?" She asks.

"What's it to you?" I answer.

"You would know who we are if you were from this land," she states. "What's your name?"

"Why would you want to know? Are you going to tell the Queen that I'm here without her knowledge or consent?"

They smile and shake their heads. "She's the reason we're in the woods," the woman says. "I'm Snow White, and this is Prince Charming," she greets.

As they step into the light, I see what I missed before. She is pregnant. Heavily pregnant. I don't know how she's trekking through the woods like that, but I'm impressed.

I bring my sword down and let the tip rest on the dirt, "I'm Davina...Jones," I reply.

"How old are you?" Snow asks.

"Old enough. Does it matter?" I reply, and she shakes her head.

"What are you doing out here, Davina?" The Prince asks.

"I have a job to do, and it involves getting into the Evil Queen's castle, and I only have..." I explain and peer at the clock "...eleven days to do it. I don't even know my way around this land, and if I don't get this object in time, well, the person I'm doing this for will not be pleased."

"You're going to the Dark Palace?" Snow asks, I nod. "You're in luck, so are we," she adds.

"Why do you need to go?"

"She has someone in her cell that we care about. We're going to break them out." Charming answers. He sighs and looks at Snow, seemingly unimpressed by her presence.

I raise my eyebrow, looking at Snow up and down.

"I can see the look you're giving me, and yes I'm pregnant. But thanks to the Blue Fairy, this...quest...is a little easier than it might look," she explains.