A Clash of Glitter, Corduroy and Fine Tuning

Start from the beginning

"Rrr-really? Every weekend, huh?" Brian said, reading over the document from the bar act manager. "Did you tell John or Roger about this?" Freddie shook his head.

"I haven't had a chance, darling. I simply had to show you first! Oh! And look! I've finished out emblem!" Freddie said, excitedly reaching into his artists portfolio.

"Emblem?" Brian questioned attempting to look across the table.

"See? I was thinking we could put this on Roger's bass drum. Oh I think it's just fetching and so does Marrrrrrr.......Mark! You remember Mark! That chap who designs signs?" Freddie said, having almost been found out that he had been in the company of a newfound lady friend and potentially more than a lady friend. Brian was a little shocked at the piece of work Freddie had just handed over to him. True it was intricate, detailed and Freddie, true to form, had paid attention to every element. "This is you! Cancer! The crab! And this one! This is John and this is Roger. It's a lion and there are two of them. Oh and look! Here's me! The maiden, just like me!" Freddie batted his eyes at Brian, forcing a smile from Brian's lips.

Brian examined the draft of what Freddie had created, running his hand over the

felt marker line before pushing it back toward him. "You...you didn't say anything about my acceptance." He said.

"Oh well...well that's just great, Brian. I know that you wanted it." Freddie was quiet again. "I know you...you want to pursue higher studies. But we have regular bookings. It's time we all took this a little more seriously." Freddie said. Brian shook his head.

"And John? He's about to finish his degree." He said.

"He should! I've never once said not to go on, Brian! All I'm saying is...that I finished a logo and I like it. I hoped that you would too and I hope Roger will let me have a transfer made to put on his drum." Freddie finished with a sinking heart as he slipped the outlined drawing into his portfolio. Brian hated to see Freddie like this. He could tell that his statement had disappointed Freddie. It was just that he felt as if his life were being torn two different ways.

"Hey. I'll be at rehearsal Wednesday. Just as planned. I'll be at the gig this weekend. You know that I will." Brian said, trying to assure Freddie that just because he had been accepted into the physics program, the band still mattered to him.

"And what if we need to rehearse more together? What if we need to start working up new material aside from our covers?" Freddie asked. Brian shrugged.

"Then that's what we do. Fred, I'm not givin' up on the band. I already have my class schedule and my teaching schedule. I didn't schedule anything for Fridays and I've got Thursdays off entirely." Brian had successfully restored some hope in Freddie's eyes in knowing he was bailing on the band for physics.

"Well! Only going to school four days a week come September? My, aren't we slacking, Brian!" Freddie grinned at him.

"Hey, I need a research day. That's what it's for. At least I'm not Roger! Hell, he hadn't been to class in two days yet he goes in and gets an A on his bloody test! Wanker." Brian shook his head.

"And what's he been doing?" Freddie asked.

"What do you think?" Was Brian's response. Freddie laughed forcing Brian to smile again.

"I like your drawing. I think you put a lot of thought into it." He assured Fred.

"Thank you. I quite fancy it too. You know I was thinking....you know how much I like glitter and sparkly, gaudy things that..." Brian interrupted Freddie.

"No. However you're going to finish that sentence....the answer is no."

"All I was going to say is that I think John would look fetching in eyeliner!" Freddie said, throwing his arms to the sides.