❝︎CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO❞︎

▌𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨 ━︎━︎ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐚𝐥𝐟-𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 ▌

━︎━︎━︎━︎"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐏 for newt potions too?" Hermione asked, looking at Juniper as she slowly ran a brush through her hair. Juniper nodded. "Well, luckily we'll have that class together. I don't think Harry and Ron signed up for it. I'm excited to have Slughorn teach us, maybe he'll have more enthusiasm than Snape ever did." Hermione watched Juniper, a small frown tugging on her lips. She'd barely spoken a word since they've been at Hogwarts.

Hermione was worried about her. The light that usually danced in Juniper's eyes had dulled, her sarcastic remarks had yet to make an appearance―︎and there had been plenty of opportunities. Juniper was still grieving, Hermione understood that completely, but Juniper was also tearing herself apart from the inside out. Juniper didn't have to say it for Hermione to know that she blamed herself for her mother's death. Juniper was drowning, and Hermione didn't know how to save her.

     Hermione walked over to her. "Come on, we're going to be late." Hermione softly said, causing Juniper to turn and look at her. Hermione gave her a gentle smile as she held out her hand and Juniper took it, letting Hermione lead them to their class. They got there and there weren't a lot of students. They all stood at the back of the class, Slughorn in front of them with a cauldron in front of him as he talked. He stopped and turned when Harry and Ron walked in.

     "Ah. Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see." Slughorn said, looking at Ron.

     Ron gave a smile. "Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at potions, a menace, actually, so I'll probably just go."

     "Nonsense." Slughorn smiled as Harry shoved Ron slightly forwards. "We'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out."

     "Uh, sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my books yet and nor has Ron."

     "Not to worry. Get what you want from the cupboard." Slughorn said. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Hermione raised her hands. "Yes, Miss. . ."

     "Granger, sir." Hermione finished for him. Hermione walked forwards towards the concoctions. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. And this is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. I-It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell. . . leather books, chocolate, and magnolias." Hermione stood there for a moment, her eyes widening as a blush formed on her cheeks at the realization. She walked back over to Juniper, completely unable to look at her.

     "Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love." Slughorn explained. "That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason it is, probably, the most dangerous potion in this room." He quickly placed a topper on the cauldron, causing the girls that had grown closer to back away.