Prologue - Aaron and Mya

Aaron's Pov:

I awoke to the feeling of my mom shaking me awake. She looked down at me and tilted her head, putting on a smile. "How does moving sound? We could leave Germany behind and move to another place." She sits on the edge of my bed and sighs, her happy and excited facade fading slightly. "I know it'll be hard moving since the.. Incident, but trust me, you'll like where we are going now."

She gets up and leaves my room. I sit upright in my bed, taking a moment to process things. Moving so soon without a warning? Just my luck. I heard dad in Mya's room, presumably waking her up. I stood up and grabbed my suitcase from under my bed. I never bothered putting it away into a cupboard or closet when we moved to a new city. It'll always be used again soon.

I filled it with my belongings, most art supplies and clothes. I slipped my lock pick set into a hidden compartment in the suitcase. Living in our apartment, Mya and I discovered many locked doors that the landlord had forbidden us from looking in.

At the garage sale I went to a couple weeks ago, I just so happened to find the lock pick set, which was priced the exact same amount of Deutsche Mark I had in my pocket. Ever since then, it was like I had a key that would unlock any door I wanted. Well, after some practice of course.

I walked into the living room, pulling my packet suitcase with me. Mom was labelling boxes that were full with our belongings. I could hear dad in their room, his footsteps heavy as he walked. I could also hear Mya padding around the apartment. 

Mya's Pov:

Following closely behind my brother, I tug on his sleeve, still barely awake. When he turns around, he looks just as skeptical as I hope I do. Watching mom and dad buzz around the apartment. I want to object, but I'll do anything to escape Germany.

Aaron and I both know well that this is strictly based on the... accident. A man was dragged under the log flume ride that day. He drowned. I don't think anyone else saw, but there were some other workers at the amusement ride that tried to help. I have no idea what happened to them.

Dragging my suitcase behind me as Aaron assists, we all get in the car and we brace ourselves for the world's quietest and most awkward car ride in history. We weren't told too much about this new place, but I hope it isn't remotely close to Germany.

The only small chunk of information we were told about is that it isn't unfamiliar to dad. I want to, but I don't ask for any more information. I feel that if either Aaron or I do, it'll make things worse. Putting our luggage into the trunk of the car, Aaron and I exchange a wary glance, while mom and dad silently take their places in the car. All aboard the car of awkwardness.

The journey to the airport is almost completely silent, the tension in the air so thick you can cut it with a knife. Mom tries to start up a conversation by twisting in her seat, to face Aaron and I. While he draws and I stare out the window, mom says, "Are you kids excited?"

We both smile for mom, while hers falters. We nod in unison, dad looking at us through the rear-view mirror. I can tell something's wrong, but they won't give it up. "Why in Missouri?" Aaron says, and judging by the way dad's expression darkens, I know he just dug himself a six-foot grave. Mom opens her mouth to speak, but quickly shuts it.