Prattling In The Cart

Start from the beginning

Crocodile and Mihawk watched Buggy walk through one of the castle's doors, dressed more elegantly than they'd seen him before. He was wearing a yellow, almost gold-like, tunic, with a vibrant orange cloak hanging from his shoulders. He wore dark boots and pale red thighs, barely visible. Blue embroideries matching his hair colour adorned the collar of his cape as well as the bottom of his tunic.

Both men were surprised by the way Buggy looked. He was elegant, and his clothes were obviously well-made. For the first time ever since they'd seen him, Buggy looked like a proper Duke. He also looked the most miserable he'd been in weeks.

The blue-haired man had a chat with the squire before he walked around the cart. He stopped in front of the two horses and stroked their heads, talking to them just like he did before with the squire. He seemed particularly fond of the pitch-black Friesian, his right hand never leaving his neck. The Percheron at the side did not seem bothered by the difference in treatment, though.

The Duke seemed to notice his knights' presence last, the two men not missing the way he did a double take when his eyes landed on them. They were in no way dressed as elegantly as him, but they'd been forwarded appropriate clothes for the evening in the early day, and looked even more presentable than usual. Crocodile had worn them reluctantly, but he had to admit that the sight of the same clothes on Mihawk was not unpleasant.

They were also dressed in tunics, Crocodile's being green, while Mihawk's was purple. Both were embellished with golden embroideries, reminiscent of Crocodile's hook and Mihawk's eyes. Both men had obviously wondered if it had been voluntarily chosen by Buggy himself, or by the seamstresses. None of them would ask, the thrill of uncertainty being way more pleasant than the truth. In addition to the clothes, Mihawk seemed to have insisted upon wearing his weird hat.

The three men exchanged a nod of acknowledgement while Buggy was crowded by Mohji and a newly arrived Cabaji. They both seemed to nag at him just like the head guard had with Crocodile and Mihawk earlier, and it was quite funny to see that the Duke seemed to get the same treatment as the knights.

While waiting for the go-ahead to finally get inside the cart, Mihawk checked the vehicle, looking at the angle of the wheels and the joinery on the passenger compartment. In the meantime, Crocodile assessed the horses and examined the straps of their saddlery. One should never forget that the threat could come from the inside.

They concluded their inspection just as Buggy turned away from his two advisers, a dismissive gesture to shush them.

'Alright, everyone on board, time to leave!' Buggy announced loudly, getting inside the cart. The two knights followed while Mohji and the young valet climbed on the seat outside the cart behind the two horses, and then they set off.

______________________

If there was something Buggy had anticipated and expected during this journey, it was the silence. Unexpectedly, both men were sitting across from him, both pairs of eyes fixed on him ever since they'd set out.

Buggy gulped, trying to look across the window casually. He knew he failed miserably.

Crocodile's size was impressive in the confined space, and Mihawk's stare did nothing to lighten the mood. And as expected by the two knights, Buggy did not utter a single word in the first hour of the trip. Crocodile grew tired of the silence, though, just like his desire to annoy the Duke increased.

'Stressed, Jester?'

The blue-haired man seemed startled by the sound of his voice, his head jerking towards Crocodile against his will.

'I beg your pardon?'

'Are you stressed about this evening's reception?' Crocodile asked with even more self-confidence than before.