IELTS雅思閱讀題目分享:老人孤獨死

雅思閱讀考題的主題五花八門,多取材自報章雜誌、書籍等。考生不僅英文程度要好,還要有能力消化各種內容的閱讀理解能力。日常多閱讀英文文章,你將能夠積累更多單字,提升閱讀速度,打開視野,進而在考試中受益匪淺。

Atlas101將不定期分享涉及不同主題的英文文章,閱讀完畢後,你可以挑戰文末的判斷題,測試自己的理解程度。看看你是否能正確回答所有問題,這樣一來,你就能確保對文章內容的理解達到100%。

[雅思閱讀] Lonely Deaths Among the Elderly: A Growing Public Health Concern

Loneliness among the elderly, resulting in solitary deaths, has become a critical public health issue. The term 'lonely deaths' describes scenarios where individuals, frequently the elderly, pass away without the presence of immediate family or social support. This concerning trend has garnered global attention, compelling health organizations and policymakers to tackle the intricate array of elements contributing to this problem.

老年人的孤獨感導致孤獨死亡,已經成為一個重要的公共衛生議題。 「孤獨死」一詞描述的是個人(通常是老年人)在沒有直系親屬或社會支持的情況下去世的情況。 這一令人擔憂的趨勢引起了全球的關注,迫使衛生組織和政策制定者解決導致這一問題的一系列錯綜複雜的因素。

In many developed countries, aging populations face the risk of social isolation due to changing family structures, increased urbanization, and the fast-paced nature of contemporary life. The absence of companionship and emotional support can lead to detrimental effects on mental and physical well-being.

在許多已開發國家,由於家庭結構的變化、城市化進程的加快以及當代生活的快節奏,人口老化面臨社會孤立的風險。 缺乏陪伴和情緒支持可能會對身心健康產生不利影響。

The World Health Organization (WHO) has recently acknowledged the gravity of this problem, emphasizing that loneliness in the elderly poses risks comparable to smoking or obesity. Loneliness not only affects mental health, contributing to conditions like depression and anxiety, but it also correlates with an increased likelihood of developing chronic illnesses.

世界衛生組織(WHO)最近承認了這個問題的嚴重性,強調老年人的孤獨感所帶來的風險與吸菸或肥胖相當。 孤獨不僅影響心理健康,導致憂鬱和焦慮等疾病,而且還與慢性疾病的可能性增加有關。

The issue of "lonely deaths" is multifaceted, involving social, economic, and health dimensions. Elderly individuals without a robust social network are at a higher risk of experiencing deteriorating health conditions without timely intervention. Loneliness exacerbates the impact of chronic diseases, and the lack of social interaction may lead to delayed medical attention during emergencies.

「孤獨死亡」問題是多方面的,涉及社會、經濟和健康層面。 如果沒有及時幹預,沒有強大社交網路的老年人健康狀況惡化的風險更高。 孤獨會加劇慢性疾病的影響,而缺乏社交互動可能會導致緊急情況下的醫療治療延遲。

To combat this growing concern, health authorities are recognizing the need for community-based initiatives. These initiatives aim to foster social connections among the elderly, providing opportunities for engagement, recreation, and emotional support. Governments and non-profit organizations are working together to create age-friendly communities that prioritize the well-being of older citizens.

為了解決這一日益嚴重的問題,衛生當局認識到需要採取社區為基礎的措施。 這些措施旨在促進老年人之間的社會聯繫,提供參與、娛樂和情感支持的機會。 各國政府和非營利組織正在共同努力創建老年友善社區,優先考慮老年人的福祉。

In conclusion, addressing the issue of "lonely deaths" among the elderly requires a comprehensive approach that considers both individual and societal factors. By promoting social connectedness, enhancing community support systems, and raising awareness about the importance of emotional well-being in later life, we can strive to create a society where aging individuals feel valued, connected, and supported.

總之,解決老年人「孤獨死」問題需要綜合考慮個人和社會因素。 透過促進社會連結、加強社區支持系統以及提高對晚年情緒健康重要性的認識,我們可以努力創造一個讓老年人感到受到重視、相互聯繫和支持的社會。

資料來源:網路整理

小試身手:判斷作者立場

看完文章了嗎?下面句子與作者立場相符嗎?選擇「True」(符合)、「False」(不符合)或「Not given」(未提及)。

✔ In the past two decades, loneliness leading to solitary deaths among the elderly has become a global trend.

✔Evolution in family dynamics and the shift towards urban living have a beneficial impact on the overall welfare of aging communities.

✔The author advocates for a hybrid model that combines remote work and traditional office work.

往下看答案↓↓↓↓

正確答案

✔ In the past two decades, loneliness leading to solitary deaths among the elderly has become a global trend.(近二十年來,孤獨導致老年人孤獨死亡已成為全球趨勢。)

答案:未提及。

說明:這篇文章沒有提供孤獨導致老年人孤獨死亡何時成為全球趨勢的具體時間範圍。 雖然它承認這個問題已經引起了全球的關注,但它沒有具體說明過去二十年的確切時間範圍。

✔Evolution in family dynamics and the shift towards urban living have a beneficial impact on the overall welfare of aging communities.(家庭動態的演變和向城市生活的轉變對老齡化社區的整體福祉產生有益影響。)

答案:錯誤。

說明:這篇文章表明,家庭結構的變化和城市化進程的加快會增加社會孤立的風險,這對老齡化人口的福祉產生不利影響。

✔Empowering communities to assist the elderly in broadening their social circles is essential.

(賦權社區幫助老年人擴大社交圈至關重要)

答案:正確。

說明:作者強調以社區為基礎的舉措,促進老年人之間的社會聯繫,並創造老年友善社區。 你答對了嗎?