Chapter 5

(omg just published my first chapters, im intrested on how well this story will do, please enjoy and leave feedback, also idk if I should get into the details of the missions or no, so lmk what yall think abt it)

────────────────── 

The day of the mission...

Due to stress I had nearly a sleepless night. (real bro) You always have that little ting of stress before every mission, but this is a first one with Task Force 141. As much as I had pleasure meeting and chatting with Soap and Gaz I still don't know how they work in the field. And Ghost is even worse, not only does he not talk he also is quite intimidating. 

It's still quite early, I don't think any of them are awake. Still in my pj's I make my way downstairs. I remember Price mentioning that if I ever needed a car I should fetch one from the shared use. Found the keys and made my way outside.

It was chilly and windy, the cold sticking to my bones and wind messing my hair. I lit a cigarette and while hugging myself for a bit of warmth I walk out to the parking lot to find a car.  

Spotting the sleek outline of a car in the distance, I quickened my pace, eager to escape the chill. Took a last long drag and threw my cig in the trashcan. Unlocking the car, I slid into the driver's seat, the familiar scent of leather and stale coffee. Ooh the desk job riders are stealing these cars more than they should. I say to myself and start the car up to warm up.

On my first day to the base I saw a small convenience store just a 25 min ride from here. 

The neon sign flickered overhead, casting an eerie glow on the deserted pavement, long fields around it and the blueish morning. As I pushed open the door, a wave of warmth and the scent of stale coffee and baked goods washed over me.

Navigating the narrow aisles, I grabbed two cans of energy drinks and a pack of cigarettes, the brands not familiar to me. The weight of the items comforting in my hands. But as I made my way to the counter to pay, a voice cut through the quiet hum of the store.

"Early start, huh?"

I looked up to the cashier. Confusion taking over my expression.

"Sorry, our average cliantele is either soldiers or passing truck drivers" he mumbled, avoiding his gaze I placed my items on the counter. I nodded in acknowledgment, not quite sure how to respond. The cashier's observation was accurate enough, but I wasn't accustomed to engage in small talk with strangers, especially ones who seemed to see right through me.

As he handed me my change and bid me farewell, I mumbled a quick "thanks" before turning to leave. The cool breeze outside offered some relief from the stifling atmosphere of the store, and I took a deep breath, letting the fresh air fill my lungs.

As I settled into the warmth of the car, a sigh escaped my lips. The hiss of the energy drink can opening filled the quietness of the vehicle as I took a few sips, relishing the burst of caffeine that coursed through my veins.

With the drinks secured in the cup holders, I started the engine and began my journey back to the base. The winding road stretched out before me, flanked on either side by fields, the beauty of the landscape offering a welcome respite from the chaos of my thoughts.

But despite the calmness of the surroundings, a strange ache settled in the pit of my stomach, a nagging feeling of unease that refused to be ignored. It was a sensation I had felt many times before, a vague sense of longing and discontent that seemed to follow me wherever I went.

As I drove, lost in my own thoughts, I found myself drawn to the side of the road, a secluded spot nestled among the fields. With a quick glance around to ensure I was alone, I pulled over and stepped out of the car, the cool breeze tousling my hair as I made my way to the hood of the car.

Sitting down, I hugged my knees to my chest. For a while, I sat there in silence, the world around me fading into the background as I lost myself in the rhythmic beat of my own heartbeat.

It was a rare moment of stillness, no thoughts racing through my mind, no worries or fears to plague me, just the simple pleasure of existing in the present moment.

But all too soon, the spell was broken, my morning alarm going off. With a heavy sigh, I rose to my feet and made my way back to the car. As I drove the rest of the way back to the base, the strange ache in my chest settled. Perhaps, in the midst of all the chaos and uncertainty, there was still a chance to find peace, to fill the void that seemed to consume me from within.

As I made my way back to the base, the corridors still empty. Finishing both energy drinks along the journey, I finally reached my room and quickly changed into my uniform, opting for a simple braid to keep my hair out of the way, tucking it behind my uniform.

With my gear in hand, I navigated through the confusing corridors towards the armory, the weight of the case of guns heavy in my grasp. As I entered, I was met with the sight of Ghost already seated, his attention focused on filling his magazines with bullets.

Without a word exchanged between us, I found a spot on the bench as far away from him as possible, grabbing the appropriate bullets and beginning to fill my own mags. The silence between us was evident, each of us lost in our own thoughts. This time, I didn't even dare to glance in his direction, preferring to keep my focus on the task at hand.

Once my mags were filled, I stood up and made my way to the full body mirror tucked into the corner of the armory. Methodically, I began to put on my gear, adjusting each piece until it sat just right. Securing my handgun in its holster and my rifle to my chest, clipping my dear MK18 on the shoulder strap. I added knives and spare mags to the slots in my vest and checked that my pockets contained all the essentials.

In the reflection of the mirror, I caught a glimpse of Ghost, his masked gaze fixed on me. 
Quickly finishing up, I shoved the empty gun case in one of the free lockers, ensuring it was locked before making my exit from the armory, avoiding the soon rush of soldiers and teammates but also leaving the feeling of sudden akwardness created by his staring problem...