I'll Make Up For It

Tick...tock...tick...tock. Sounds of the clock hanging on the white wall fill the room, bouncing off the walls and echoing in Sunoo's ear. One second, two seconds, three. One minute, two minutes, three. One hour, two hours, three hours. When will his only moon, world, and love return home? Has he forgotten their fourth anniversary?

Sunoo sits on the cold floor before the door, hugging his knees. In his hand is a bracelet he'd made for the older. His beautiful, fox-like eyes fall shut, shading his vision in a jet-black. 'He's busy with work, he'll come back soon.' Sunoo repeats this thought over and over in his head, convincing himself that Sunghoon hadn't forgotten their anniversary. How could he? He loves Sunoo to the moon and back, more than anything in the world-he said so himself. So it'd be silly to think he'd forget such an important day like this.

It isn't long before Sunoo falls asleep, dropping to the floor. The dinner he cooked is still sitting on the dining table, already cold. The balloons in their living room roll around, and the confetti hanging on the wall sways back and forth. What time is it? 10:42 pm. Is Sunghoon back yet? No.

"Sunghoonie hyung..." Sunoo mumbles in his sleep, reaching to grasp nothing but air.

When will he come back?

Like a parrot imitating the sound of a trigger on an empty gun, Sunoo hears the click of the door in front of him unlocking. The wind from the door rushes to hug the sleeping Sunoo's limp body, chest heaving up and down. His eyes flutter open to see a pair of familiar shoes. Brown, leather, a little scuffed-it's Sunghoon's shoes. Groaning, Sunoo sits up, rubbing his aching back.

They make eye contact. Sunghoon's eyes are red and puffy, and his nose is slightly red. Has he been crying? He spots the bracelet in his lover's hand. He peeks around the corner and sees the balloons, the confetti, and the dinner on the table. He drops everything and pulls the younger into a tight, warm hug.

"Sunghoonie hyung."

"Just for a minute."

"I'm so sorry, my love," Sunghoon apologizes, kissing Sunoo's lips. "I'm so sorry. Happy anniversary." Sunoo looks up at the clock. Midnight. It is no longer their anniversary. "I waited for you. Where were you?" He sniffs, clutching Sunghoon's shirt tight.

Sunghoon nods. "I-I know you waited for a long time, I got here as soon as possible. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I love you so much, I'm sorry. Something came up at work-no, it's still my fault, I'm sorry." Sunoo stands up, but Sunghoon stays kneeling on one knee. He takes Sunoo's hand gently, kissing it, apologizing once more as Sunoo uses his other hand to wipe his nose. "I'll make up for it. What would you like to do?"

Sunoo pulls Sunghoon up to his feet, dragging him to the fireplace and pushing balloons aside. He grabs a match and tries to light it, but it doesn't work. "Here, I'll help." Sunghoon takes it from Sunoo, lighting it in one try and tossing it into the fireplace.

"Sunghoonie hyung, I wanna watch the fire with you," Sunoo says. Sunghoon smiles, sitting next to the shorter. He pats his lap, signalling for Sunoo to sit with him, and Sunoo quickly does so.