09. Phoebe Bridgers

Start from the beginning

Not having your best friend by your side to reassure you sure was tough, but if that was all, then you knew you'd be just fine.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

After checking your outfit and hair in the mirror about twenty times, you finally came to the conclusion that you were going to have to wait. They were picking you up in about five minutes, which seemed like literal hours as you began pacing through your room. This was a bad habit you kept picking back up again as all the worst case scenarios fled through your mind. 

The silence in your apartment was loud, leaving you with plenty of space to overthink every single detail once more, before you were interrupted by a soft knock on the door. Your eyes traveled to your phone, they were still minutes early. You suddenly remembered Emily telling you something about them being punctual, but quickly shook off every thought as you opened the door.

There they were, in the opening of your day. A feeling of relief rushed through you as you saw their clothes, confirming that what you were wearing was definitely a good call. "Hey." The smile that had made its way onto your face grew bigger as you heard their voice. "Hey." You had to try your hardest not to giggle as their eyes met yours, the same grin on their face.

"Ready to go?" They asked, tilting their head as they made room for you to leave your apartment. You felt yourself nodding before stepping out of your beloved flat, locking the door behind you before following Bella outside.

Their car was exactly what you had envisioned it to look like, and they were quick to open the passenger door for you as they waited for you to get it. "What a gentleman." You shook your head, giggling at the small gesture. Bella's chuckle was still audible after they closed your door, making their way to their own side of the car.

As they turned the car on, the playlist they were playing when they got here filled the car, causing you to chuckle as the familiar tunes met your ears. "Fuck yeah." You grinned at Phoebe Bridger's name before meeting their eyes, a sense of relief in their gaze.

"Kind of depressing though." You brushed it off as the car began driving, making the song a little less audible. "Well that's the point." The brunette grinned at you, causing you to let out a small chuckle. "Ouch? Were you dreading this so bad you felt the need to cry to Phoebe in your car minutes before arriving?" You joked, pretending to act shocked as your hand covered your heart.

The colour in their cheeks grew red as they shook their head softly. "Who said I was crying?" The brunette shrugged, but you were still able to detect the small smile on their face. "It's Phoebe, come on now." The city had grown darker, the only light sources being the moon, and the laterns on both sides of the road. The same spark in Bella's eyes appeared, leaving you with nothing but butterflies as you tried to remain calm.

"In my defense, this playlist isn't just Phoebe." Bella kept up their point, but just as they said that, the song faded into another one, this one being Lucy Dacus' 'Hot and Heavy', causing you to let out a big chuckle. "Great point you got there." Their cheeks turned ever more red as you met their eyes again, the smile still there.

Without any sense of embarrassment, you felt yourself beginning to sing along to the song, going all out while Bella remained quiet, admiring you as if the off-key notes that left your mouth were as pure as the night. "Don't leave me hanging here!" You half-yelled, pretending to be offended as you continued to sing along.

After a few verses, you managed to get them to sing along with you. Their voice was suprisingly beautiful, causing your cheeks to heat up this time. You found yourself admiring their features in the lighting once more, just like you did on the balcony those few nights ago.