𝐈𝐕 : 𝐚 𝐛𝐚𝐛𝐲 𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧

Start from the beginning

"Keep ya bloody eyes open" he chuckled, ruffling the girl's hair.

"All right John, only one man is guarding the house," he stated, while refusing the whiskey Arthur offered him.

"What's troubling ya?" Tommy asked, trying to seem as interested as possible even though they all knew he didn't care.

"Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died." John began and Lola felt bad at the way she whined and begged her aunt not to come to the meeting since it was clearly a serious one.

"God takes the best first," Polly reassured him, placing a comforting hand on top of his own.

"Truth is, my kids, have been running bloody rings around me," John admitted, looking down while Lola looked at him sympathetically.

"Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours" John continued.

"Pol give him ten bob for some shoes and we can send Lola to do babysitting when she can," Tommy said, dismissively.

Lola scoffed at her brother and the lack of sympathy he showed, also at the fact he'd just basically offered to take all her freedom away.

"Is that all, John?" Tommy asked.

"Tommy, it would be better to do this without you!" Polly cut him off sharply, much to Lola's amusement.

"Now what's your point?" Polly levelled with John.

"What the kids need is a mother, which is why I'm getting married," John told them.

Lola raised her eyebrows and turned to look at Finn in pure shock, Finn doing the exact same thing.

"Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her, or are you just going to spring it on her all of a sudden?" Polly asked, seemingly quite shocked as well, but keeping her composure.

"I've already proposed, and she said yes" John explained, with a sigh.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang," Tommy said, lighting his cigarette.

Lola turned to Finn and mouthed the words "idiot" to him and Finn stifled a laugh at his sister's childish behaviour.

"It's er... it's Lizzie Stark," John admitted.

The smug smile dropped off of Lola's face and her mouth flew open looking at John in disbelief, trying to look as supportive as she could.

The room erupted with laughter from everyone, except her and John who looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him whole.

"John! Lizzie Stark is a strong woman and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers" Polly began, a smile still on her face.

"I won't hear the word! Understand? Do not use that word! John warned. Lola's shocked expression remained stuck on her face.

"What word is that John?" Tommy asked, trying to rile him up.

"You know what word that is" John grumbled.

"Everybody bloody knows!" Arthur interjected.

"Everybody can go to hell!" John fumed.

"Whore? That word? Or prostitute? How about that one?" Tommy carried on.

"Right. I want it known. If anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats, and blow the words back into their hearts." John threatened.

Lola's mouth finally closed and she shrugged at John before scowling at Thomas, which he did actually catch so she looked down at her lap quickly.

"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me. John, Lizzie Stark has never done a day's work vertical!" Polly reasoned.