𝐈𝐈𝐈 : 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬

Start from the beginning

Lola had climbed through her window to get back home, trying to avoid anyone in her family seeing her dress as they would know something had happened.

Lola's dress did rip however she wasn't particularly fussed as it was too frilly for her liking anyway.

Lola, now dressed in a blouse and skirt ran down the stairs, fully aware of the telling-off she was going to get when she came across her aunt as she had told the young girl to walk downstairs properly rather than run, often telling her she sounded like a herd of elephants rather than a girl.

She walked into the den where her aunt was sitting with her head in her hands.

Lola made her way over and sat across from her aunt "What's wrong now?" she sighed.

Polly raised her head and looked at Lola before letting out a sigh and grabbing the younger girl's hands.

"I know where you were today Lola and I need you to be honest with me now" Polly began, giving Lola a reassuring look.

How on earth could Polly know what happened? She had been so careful, climbing through her window, hiding the dress, and getting her books out to make it look like she had been there all morning.

"What are you talking about Polly do you need to see a doctor?" Lola asked, pretending to be concerned, figuring this was the best way to go about it even though she had always been taught lying wasn't right but everyone lied. She didn't need to be the exception.

"Some ladies that I'm friends with have spoken to me, they say that they saw you running down by the cut with Ada in a white dress with Freddie. Lola you know I'm not stupid. I know they've married." Polly said, more sternly now.

Lola stayed silent, her heartbeat quickening as she bit her bottom lip worriedly.

"You're going to make them leave, aren't you?" Lola asked, her face holding a solemn expression.

"I want to help them, Lola, you be grateful you're not having this conversation with Thomas," her aunt said, sighing.

"It's two lefts after the garrison then a right and it's above the building with the ugly doors with the letters" Lola mumbled with a crestfallen expression at the knowledge that she had betrayed her sister's trust.

Lola had always held her and her sister's relationship close in her heart. They trusted each other and even though they argued, they both knew all they wanted for each other was peace and happiness.

The thought of Lola being the one to ruin Ada and Freddie's happiness made her chest hurt and she was filled with shame.

Usually, things like this didn't affect Lola, she had been told she was a carefree young girl and she agreed, but she couldn't quite figure out why this was the thing sending her over the edge.

Her head snapped up quickly and she looked at her aunt wide-eyed. "Polly please don't tell Ada I told you where she's been staying. She will hate me! She trusted me and this is how I repay her!"

Lola's fingers played with the fabric of her skirt and her aunt only looked at her with a soft smile that reached her eyes.

"Oh, my girl, stay soft and filled with love, everyone else is changing, you're my reminder that I'm still sane" her aunt chuckled, once again grabbing the younger girl's hands.

"I know, I barely recognise anyone anymore, I think truthfully, we only really have each other" Lola spoke, barely above a whisper as she laid her head down on the table and her aunt's fingers raked through Lola's hair gently so she didn't pull on any tangled pieces.