PROLOGUE

“Okay, one, two, three, smile!”

Together we smiled at the camera, and a white flash enveloped my sight for a second. Behind the photographer was our parents, adoring us while we stood in white gowns and hats. It was the end of the ceremony, and everyone was taking their last pictures in the venue. Here at the graduation backdrop, the three of us stood side by side. Our necks and chests were filled with medals and ribbons, and those who walked past and recognized who we were congratulated us, left and right. 

“Congratulations to our Honorable Mentions!” Tita Anne greeted us in joy. 

She met the warm embrace of her beloved daughter, Denisse, who happened to be the only girl among us. While Denisse, suddenly in tears, being comforted by her parents, my other bestfriend and I took the chance to take a picture together.

My arm was over his shoulder, and so was his on mine, and we posed together once more at the camera. “Smile, mga pogi!” Mama said, and we wore the biggest smile of our lives.

“Blaise,” he called me. “Promise mo ha, bestfriends pa rin tayo!”

“Oo naman,” I promised, lifting my pinky. “Pinky promise!”

He lifted his, intertwined with mine. “Pinky promise.”

“Count me in!” Denisse joined, tying her pinky to ours. “Pinky promise!”

From that moment, I knew we’ll be beyond playmates anymore. I looked at them—my partners in mischief and laughter—and made a silent vow to cherish our bond forever. No matter what the future holds for us, they will still be my bestfriends.