65: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲

Start from the beginning

"I'm afraid it's a little too late for that." Roxana interjected, her tone carrying a note of finality as she met Claude's gaze with a self-assured smile.

"I have already given that information to her before I arrived here."

Navier's gaze lingered on the parchment delivered to the Trovi estate, bearing Roxana's letter

"..."

An unsettling darkness clouded her features, her eyes wide and hollow with disbelief and a simmering undercurrent of loathing.

'To think he plotted to kill me and his majesty,' she mused, her hand tensing around the paper, a whirlwind of emotions churning within her.

The audacity of King Heinrey, continuing to correspond with her even after the attempt on her life, left Navier seething with indignation.

With a firm jaw, she laid the paper down upon the table, her resolve hardening.

'King Heinrey has truly lost his mind. I regret the day I entertained his company. I have to confront him at once.'

Rising from the couch, Navier strode purposefully towards a nearby cabinet, retrieving a small box containing the letters exchanged during their former pen pal correspondence.

With determination etched on her features, she moved to the flickering candle, methodically feeding the flames with each letters, her silent glare piercing through the inferno.

'But before I take any further action, I must inform my family,' she deliberated, her brow furrowed in thought. 'Is there a chance to dissuade him from continuing the war? Yet the die has already been cast...'

"That asshole

"That asshole..." Kosair's voice dripped with sarcasm and fury, his forehead lined with veins pulsating with anger. "He's in his manor right now, isn't he? Perfect timing."

Duchess Trovi's hand shot out, grasping Kosair's arm in a desperate attempt to halt his impulsive actions, her expression inscrutable yet dark.

"I understand your anger, Kosair. But you have to remember that Navier assured us she would confront him...!" she interjected, her voice tinged with concern. "Emperor Claude and Emperor Sovieshu will handle him after the war-"

"Nonsense!" Kosair's rebuttal cut through the air, softened only slightly to spare his mother's feelings.

Beneath the veneer of restraint, anguish flickered in his eyes as he glanced between his mother and sister. "Navier, you cannot meet him alone. What if he harms you? I cannot bear such thought!"

Drawing nearer to Navier, his gaze burned with intensity and determination. "If you insist on meeting him, then I will accompany you."

Navier's expression shifted, her worry evident as she pressed her fingers to her temple, considering her brother's impassioned plea.

"No, Kosair. I will get a knight to accompany me. You have a propensity for confrontation, and I fear it will only escalate matters. You would have a chance of getting arrested once more..."

Kosair's bitter gaze faltered, his resolve waning as he turned away. "You're right. That man deserves punishment anyway," he muttered, his shoulders tense with frustration.

Navier then touched his shoulder comfortingly. It offered solace, quelling the storm of emotions within him.

"Don't worry, I will take precautions," Navier reassured him, her voice steady despite her own apprehension. "I will be accompanied by a skilled knight, whom you know very well is excellent in combat. Trust me, I will ensure my safety."

Reluctantly, Kosair relented, his gaze softening as he exhaled heavily, his head bowed in resignation.

"I hate waiting. Just promise me you'll be safe..."

Psyche gracefully flitted through the air, en route to the Trovi manor to deliver yet another letter from Claude

'A war? How intriguing...' she mused, her wings beating rhythmically as she approached Navier's bedroom in the distance.

However, her flight came to an abrupt halt as she caught sight of a familiar figure perched nearby - the male crow.

Blinking in disbelief, Psyche concealed herself behind a nearby tree, her suspicions piqued by the sight of Lation maintaining a stoic expression, his beak curved into a charming smile as he interacted with the surrounding birds, who seemed utterly charmed by his presence.

'Could it be...' Psyche narrowed her eyes in suspicion, pondering the enigmatic nature of the seemingly charismatic crow. 'Is he truly a casanova? And who is his parents? He appears different from all birds, based on his appearance.'

Her incredulity only deepened as she observed the crow gracefully stoop to pluck a rose, offering it gallantly to a visibly flustered bird.

'Ew,' she grimaced, swiftly averting her gaze when she realized Lation had caught her scrutiny, prompting her to hastily retreat and remain concealed.

'Does this crow also have a human form, akin to my own? Or perhaps not...'