"Dad, please," Sathvik hissed.

"Yeah, sure. As I was saying, Charan ji, we feel honoured that you have come to our home asking for our Angana's hand. But—"

"But?" Charan asked with a frown.

"We are from different worlds, as you can see. We are simple middle-class people, and an alliance with such a well-settled family is not what we want for our daughter. Also, our cultures are so very different," Indrajith said.

"What?" Charan asked in shock.

Kashyaps don't want this alliance because they are rich? Charan couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Angana would find it difficult to adjust to high society life. I hope you understand what I am trying to say?" Indrajith asked politely.

"You are rejecting us because we are rich?" Charan asked in disbelief.

"Oh no, please don't take it that way. Marriage is not just between two people, right? It's between two families too. And our families are far apart in everything. Yes, we have been settled in Mumbai for a long time now. But at heart, we are still conservative Lucknowis," Indrajith said, and Tripti nodded.

"We love our son, and you love your daughter. We want what is best for our son. That must be what you want for your daughter too. Where it matters, we are the same, Indrajith," Charan said.

"Forgive me, but please, if it weren't for the child, would you have come here asking for our daughter's hand?" Tripti asked, leaving Charan speechless for a moment.

"If that's what Sathvik wanted, we would have," Nilima said, as she liked the pretty girl instantly. And from what Sathvik has said, she is a nice girl too.

So, if Sathvik had come and said he wanted to marry Devangana, they would have definitely come asking for her hand.

"That's the point. He wouldn't have wanted her if it were not for the child," Tripti pointed out.

Sathvik didn't have any argument.

What could he say? That he fell in love with her at first sight.

That would be a lie.

Maybe, given time, he would have.

She is beautiful, she is smart and witty. What is there not to love?

But you will never know!

"We understand your concern. You don't want your daughter to get into a marriage where there is already a child," Nilima said with a sad smile.

She does understand. She wouldn't have wanted that for her daughter either.

"We are glad you understand our point," Indrajith said.

"We hope you will reconsider. We are not forcing you. Please just think about it. Sathvik would keep her happy," Charan promised.

Indrajith nodded half-heartedly, not having the heart to outrightly say their rejection again.

"Mr. and Mrs. Kashyap, I am extremely sorry for the distress I have caused you because of my impulsiveness. Ishaan told me that you were angry with Devangana. But it was not Devangana's fault, Mrs. Kashyap. It was all me. Please forgive me and don't be angry with Deva," Sathvik said, looking at Tripti.

Tripti's heart melted a little.

Oh, such a nice guy, her heart whispered.

He would have definitely kept their Angana happy.

Only if the circumstances were different.

"It's okay, beta."

"We will take our leave then," Charan said and stood up from the couch, disappointed with the turn of events.

Sathvik came and stood in front of Devangana.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," she smiled.

"She was so excited to meet you. But she threw up on the way and then fell asleep, exhausted," Sathvik said, looking at the baby in his arms.

"I missed her too," Devangana said and raised on her tiptoes and pressed a light kiss on the baby's cheeks.

Everyone looked at them in awe.

'They all look so cute together,' a traitorous voice from inside Tripti's head screamed.

Tripti shook her head to dispel that voice.

She simply can't have her daughter sacrifice her life for someone else's child.

"Deva," Sathvik called.

"Yes?"

"Now that you resigned, why don't you start small-scale baking?" Sathvik asked.

"But I don't have the money to start a shop," Devangana said.

"Don't start a shop. Do some home baking. Ask Ishaan to set up an online portal for your business."

Ishaan frowned. Why didn't that idea strike him before?

"That would work?" Devangana asked.

"If your baked goods are tasty, it will definitely work. Take care, Deva," he said and turned to the other family members.

"Dad, Mom! Let's go?"

A/n

Please vote, comment and share...

Love,

SF❤️