The Droplet

My name is ————-, I came here for the sole purpose of communicating with the world around me. Like a drop of water falling among rain, I didn't come here alone, I was one of many, with many before and many coming after. This is the natural order of things, to be one among many, to be part of a community, and to communicate as one among many. To fall into the lake, to make ripples as you integrate into the water, to make waves that echo outward and announce your presence, this is what it is to communicate. This is what my art is to me, my signal that echoes outwards, through water, airwaves and across borders in every direction. There was a time when I stopped signaling and I let myself drift out to space, drifting further, dead in the water with nothing more than the faintest heartbeat, begging to be heard. This couldn't go on, in retrospect this time of isolation, to be cut off from family and friends I haven't met yet, allowed me ample time to feel what it is to be one of many. Through phones, computers, advertisements and streams, news and media, to be alone today must actively be strived for and I was a master of this skill. I will never get that time back and I don't want it back, because it was here that I heard the sounds within silence, what is said when speechless, to feel the tangibility of space between tangible things. It was only after experiencing what it is not only to not be heard, but to not even signal in the first place, that I let my droplet ripple.