CHAPTER 10

In my room, I walked back and forth, trying to put my thoughts in order. When I stopped moving, a slap landed on the desk. "Now what?"

"Look. I'm really sorry for being mindless," Denisse apologized.

"Can you calm yourself down, Blais—"

I didn't let Clark finish his word. He's sitting beside her on the bed, with a bandage wrapped around his foot. "If you don't want to stay true to our plans, I might as well quit," I suggested.

"Blaise, hindi nga niya sinasadya. She was just concerned about me," he said, defending this girl who put us into another mess.

"And were you both concerned about me sa magiging consequences? Hindi niyo ba naisip na napapahamak na ang sarili ko because of this bullshit?"

"Watch your words, Blaise."

"Well, it's fucking true, CJ. Ininda ko ang lahat ng tinawag nila sa akin, because they thought I stole you from Denisse. Have you ever thought that I might not be getting enough sleep because they are calling me names and it bothers me every night?"

"Oo, kasalanan ko ang lahat, Blaise. Alam kong ako ang pakana nito at napepwerwisyo ka na dahil ginawa ko. At higit sa lahat, hindi mapapantayan ng pera ko ang pasensya mo para sa amin," he admitted. "But please, don't curse in front of Denisse."

Denisse started to cry. "I'm really sorry," she sobbed.

"Stop crying, Denisse. Your tears won't change the fact that everyone now believes that you're still together," I blunted.

She won't stop crying. As much as I wanted to console her instead, I walked towards the door.

"Are you quitting?" he asked.

I pondered for a while to think of an answer, but in the end, I ignored him and finally walked out of his room. I should leave this to them for the meantime.

Glad his parents were not here yet, so that they couldn't hear us arguing in his room, until I came across Ate Pechay in the kitchen. She flinched upon seeing me behind her. "Blaise naman, aatakihin mo naman ako sa puso!"

"Sorry po," I apologized. "Makikiinom po sana ako ng tubig."

"Tubig lang pala."

While she was getting me a glass of water, she turned to me. "Rinig kong nagsisigawan kayo sa itaas ah. I smell something fishy" she said, raising a brow in curiosity.

"Naglalaro lang po kami ng ano... Charades. Tama," I lied.

"Nagsisinungaling kang bata ka," she said. "Hindi kita bibigyan ng tubig kung ayaw mong magsabi sa akin ng totoo."

"Sige po, sa labas na lang ako iinom."

"Mainit sa labas. Mauuna kang mahimatay bago ka pa makainom ng tubig."

"Sa CR na lang po."

"Madumi ang tubig sa CR. Gusto mo bang magka-cholera, diarrhea, hepatitis A or polio?"

"Sige po, balik na lang po ako sa itaas."

When I turned my back, she spoke again, which left me dumbstruck. "Nagsisinungaling kayong tatlo no? Ginawa kang panty sa relasyon ng dalawa."

I turned to her with a confused face. "Panty?"

"Oo, panty. Panakip-butas. Ganern."

As soon as I realized what she meant, I found myself in the backyard, sharing a table with Ate Pechay. I ended up telling her the truth.

Not just the truth, but everything. Literally everything.

She almost choked on her tea upon telling her my sentiments on the dilemma I'm in. "May feelings ka kay CJ?!" she whispered.

With a sigh, I nodded.

"So in short, true talaga sila, fake kayong dalawa, pero true ang feelings mo sa kanya. It's very magulo. Parang mga damit na lalabhan ko bukas. Super messy," she said. "Buti natiis mo beh. Pero ang question, keri mo pa ba? 'Yong mukha mo, halatang pagod na pagod ka na."

"Ewan ko nga po. Kung aayaw ako, malalagot si Denisse," I replied.

"Gusto mo bang advice?" she offered.

"Maybe."

She took another sip on her tea, and cleared her throat. "'Wag na kayong magsinungaling. Habang mas maaga pa, sabihin niyo na ang totoo. Kasi, mas lalong lalaki ang maiipong sakit sa inyong tatlo at sa mga parents niyo kung itatago pa niyo ito nang matagal."

She then lifts her hand, pointing at me. "At ikaw, huwag kang magpakamartir kay CJ. Hindi dahil mahal mo siya, susundin mo na lahat ng mga maling desisyon niya sa buhay."

That hit me to the core. Somehow, her words were true. I regretted that it took me a long time to realize it.

I went upstairs, with every step I took, I rearranged my thoughts. I think I already have a concrete answer to his question.

Upon opening the door, what greeted my sight was Denisse, taking over his lips while his hands went underneath her shirt. The whole time I was gone, they were enjoying each other's flesh already.

I wanted to scream.

I wanted to toss the vases to them.

I wanted to ruin them.

But I know, I can't. I don't have the right to feel jealous in the first place. I don't have the right to imagine myself in her position right now, because after all, she's all that he loves, more than anything in this world.

Who am I even to them? Just a mere friend.

Every moan he let out, one tear dropped on my face. Why am I even acting this way? Why can't I resist this feeling of envy?

Why can't I just be happy for them?

"At ikaw, huwag kang magpakamartir kay CJ. Hindi dahil mahal mo siya, susundin mo na lahat ng mga maling desisyon niya sa buhay."

Ate Pechay was right. Everything happened because I loved him, even if he brings nothing but a mess into my life. I let him manipulate my decisions because I loved him.

I let myself be a fool in front of people... because I loved him.

If loving you means harm to me, I don't want to love you anymore, Clark.

Go to hell, Mister Clark James Saavedra.

Go to fucking hell.

The moment he caught me staring at them, he pushed Denisse away. "Blaise—"

"I fucking quit, Clark. I will tell them the truth."

With a heavy heart, I slammed the door. I rushed downstairs, but there, I was greeted by his parents. They caught me in tears. "Blaise, what happened?" Tita Anne asked.

"I'm so sorry, Tita Linda, Tito Clint," I apologized.

Their attention went to the two who followed me. They were surprised to see his parents coming home early, and caught them in their disordered clothes.

It breaks my heart that they have become an eyesore to me, and from there, I left their house, broken and wasting tears.

At home, Mama rushed to me as soon as she saw me sobbing at the gates. "Ma, I'm sorry. Nagsinungaling ako. I'm sorry.

At that moment, I know everything will change.