CHAPTER 8

Just so Denisse's parents didn't want any rumors going around between her and Clark, they disliked the idea of using her to cover our relationship, which doesn't exist in the first place. Instead, they encouraged us to face reality if we really want to date each other, which—again—isn't true at all. Why would I even date this guy?

But I won't deny it. Somehow, I liked the idea of him and I being together.

But, I'd like to remind myself that this is just a big lie and I hate it. Let's say I won, but at what cost? This just makes me hate him more. More than ever.

Anyway, he promised to do every favor I would ask, in exchange for hiding their secret. I hope he will do so, or else, I wouldn't hesitate to tell their parents the truth.

Talking about parents, our conversation with his parents didn't end up so well. Upon telling them that he wanted to pursue me, I saw the dismay in Tito Clint's reaction. Meanwhile, Tita Linda tried to lighten his mood, and she congratulated us. Although she really didn't see this coming, she will support whatever decisions Clark will make in his life. She even thought that he would officially introduce Denisse to them as his girlfriend, but this happened.

She hoped for the best of us.

Because of that, I feel bad for doing this. We are literally lying to our own parents, and I know it's just worsening this situation that I'm supposed to be excluded in the first place.

"Blaise," someone tapped me out of nowhere. It was the council's secretary. "Adjourned na ang meeting. Wala ka bang planong umalis?"

"Oh, sorry. May iniisip lang ako," I apologized.

"Pwede mo naman sabihin sa 'kin. Mahirap na, baka sa'n mapunta 'yang pagkikimkim mo," she added.

"I'm totally fine. I promise," I replied, just another lie again.

Just to be true, I'm not really okay—now that I see him waiting right outside the meeting room. I hate this.

To fulfill Denisse's parents' wishes, we have to go together and be literally seen 'dating' just so those rumors about them would be dissolved. Because of that, we have to avoid her as much as possible. And I know, this will become a complete mess if people around us would mistakenly label me as the 'wrecker', but my bestfriends had high hopes that we will pull this plan successfully.

I don't know how far this would go, and how much I will handle just to cover their secrets.

Anyway, public display of affection is still prohibited, especially that I'm a council member and I'm supposed to follow every rule here at school.

Clark and I decided to spend the recess together at the cafeteria, as part of the plan to intentionally expose us to the public. We have to act like how couples do, which we have talked about earlier this morning, on our way here.

"So what now?" I asked, as I tried to enjoy my burger that he had bought for me.

I noticed he was just staring at me, not answering. "Is there something wron—"

He lifted his hand and drew it near to my face, until his thumb reached the corner of my lips. He wiped something off, and then, the next thing I saw— he sucked his thumb. "What the f— Clark?! Anong ginagawa mo?!" I said sheepishly.

"Nakatingin sila sa atin. I took the opportunity. Sumabay ka na lang," he replied.

I tried to turn my sight around and indeed, some girls were watching us, with surprised looks on their faces.

Oh well, I completely forgot he had these fangirls around the campus. Now, I'd be an eyesore, for sure.

"Great, ako na ang magiging target nila," I said.

"They're nice. 'Wag ka lang makipagtalo sa kanila," he teased.

Nice? The way they were glaring at me? He still considered them nice? Is he blind? Or he doesn't want to lose his fanbase?

Anyway, after the recess, we went back to the classroom and there, we were greeted with surprised faces. My sight went to Denisse, who was avoiding us too.

But, I can really see in her face that she's holding back her laughter. She really finds this funny, while I'm getting dragged into their mess. So funny.

"Ehem, ehem, andyan na ang tunay na love team," someone declared, as he was trying to clear his throat.

It was Larry, one of our accomplices. Him and Krissa would be of great help to circulate a new rumor between me and Clark. Of course, we told them the reasons behind this plan beforehand, and they swore to God, they wouldn't tell anyone about this. And, by that, they will be given rewards every week.

Who will be in-charge of that? It's the one and only, Mr. Saavedra, the mastermind of this mess.

One girl rushed towards me. "Blaise, true ba? Kayo na ni Clark?" she intriguingly asked.

I turned to her sheepishly. "I have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Sorry."

Just after our teacher entered the room, I took my seat and the girl rushed to hers. I don't have much energy to entertain any question at this moment.

Afternoon came with showers of light rain coming from the gray clouds above. There's nothing much left to do after the class was dismissed, so I went through the crowded corridors. Clark chased after me, and rested his arm over my shoulders. We're getting everyone's attention again.

Little did he know, I badly wanted to roll my eyes and pinch that heavy arm of his. "Can you just act normal for onc—"

All of a sudden, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me. "Excuse me!" he raised his voice, dividing the crowd of students to give some way for us.

"Teka lang!" I said, as I tried to catch up my footsteps with his.

We were able to get out of the building, but now panting. There, we crossed paths with Denisse, who was surprised with our sudden presence. Clark and her stared at each other for a moment, but as soon as realized, she turned her sight away and opened her umbrella.

Just before I could even grab mine, Clark took his and opened for us. He pulled me in, just so we could share the shade under his umbrella. The moment we took the step together, I felt the throbbing of my heart in me.

I felt like the world stopped, as I locked my eyes to his face—so close that it reminded me of the time he was sleeping beside me. His hand held my waist, but it was not so soon that I realized that his eyes were following every step she took under the rain.

Thinking about this would be our set-up for the rest of our lives, I don't see myself still partaking in this stupid plan anymore sooner. I just hope I won't fall too hard for this guy after all of this great pretending.

When we reached our neighborhood, the three of us reunited once more. "How's your day?" he asked, and it took seconds to realize he was talking to her.

"Okay naman," she replied. "Kayo, okay lang ba? Blaise looks exhausted since this morning."

"Don't mind me at all," I assured. "I can handle myself."

They resumed their talk until we were about to reach her home. There, we saw her parents literally waiting at their gates. I pulled Clark away from her, just so we could keep our distance from her in their sight.

"Hi po, Tito Den, Tita Anne," I greeted them, and with smiles, they nodded.

I totally would understand if they're a bit cold towards us after what had happened when they invited us to come over for dinner. It just shows how precious Denisse is to them.

It was my turn to reach our gates, but Clark was in a rush all of a sudden. "Pasok ka na! Dali!"

"Why?!" I exclaimed, but as soon as I entered our frontyard, he left me in the rain and went home.

Great. I was forced to pace towards our door, almost soaked in wet. Glad my bag is water-proof, or else, my papers would be wet too.

"Oh, kita ka naming iniwan ni CJ. Nag-away ba kayo?" Mama greeted me with a sudden interrogation.

"Hindi naman. Baka masakit ang tyan," I replied, even though I do not completely know the reason he left me in the rain.

Why do I have to suffer for this stupid guy?!