CHAPTER 7

"May dapat ba kaming malaman, Blaise?" Papa asked, in his most serious tone. "Rinig kong ayaw mong magkawatak-watak kayo kapag nalaman namin ang isang relasyong tinatago niyo sa amin."

And, I know what it means—I have to tell the truth. Or else, he will do anything until he finds it out himself. He's the only person I don't want to mess with at home, because he doesn't want us to hide any secrets.

My parents were sitting on the couch facing ours, and I'm with Clark, scratching my palm while I think of anything to answer.

But I can't lie. I really can't.

I looked at Clark, with his eyes begging me to hold back. I had no choice. "Sorry."

"Si Clark po kasi—"

"Nililigawan mo ba si Blaise?"

Papa threw a question to Clark instead. And, that question was a cold water spilled over my head— to the point my jaw dropped in surprise. I quickly shook my head. "No—"

"Blaise, I'm not asking you. I'm talking to Clark."

Confused, I turned to Clark and signaled him to deny. But, things took an unexpected turn when he answered with a nod. "O-Opo, nililigawan ko si Blaise," he replied.

"Clark, anong pinagsasabi mo—"

He then grabbed my hand to hold it, in front of my parents. "Natakot kami na baka magkahiwa-hiwalay kami kung malaman niyo ang tungkol sa amin. Baka ilayo niyo sa akin si Blaise..."

No fucking way. He's using me to cover up the truth. Now, he's becoming the biggest jerk I've ever known.

Fuck you, Clark. Fuck you.

I really hate you.

"Totoo ba, Blaise?" Papa finally turned to me.

At that moment, I was caught in a dilemma. This is what I was trying to tell him—that I don't want to be dragged into their mess. He's a jerk. He's a fucking jerk.

I didn't want to answer. I just kept my head down, trying to avoid their stares.

"Kung totoo man, eh, wala na kaming magagawa," Mama interfered, trying the cool down the tension escalating between us and Papa. "Willing ka bang magcommit kay Blaise, kahit napaka-busy niya? Alam mo naman, puro aral at council inaatupag niya."

"Willing po ako, Tita," he answered. "Aalagaan ko po siya."

It made me wince, disgusted in secret. I badly wanted to throw up for what he had said.

"Kung natatakot kang ilayo ko si Blaise sa'yo, then you should be," Papa warns him, which I seemed funny and terrifying at the same time. "If and only if sasaktan mo lang siya."

Papa's face now starts to recover, with traces of dismay starting to fade out as he sighed.

"'Di po kayo galit?" I asked the two of them.

Mama spoke again. "Bakit namin kami magagalit? Eh dapat nga masaya kami kasi may boyfriend ka na. Tsaka, noon pa man, malakas na talaga loob ko na iba ang tingin mo kay CJ—"

For the nth time, my eyes widened again, trying to think of anything to divert the topic. "Sige, salamat Ma! Thank you, Pa! Alis na po kami! May gagawin pa kaming research!" I startled, pulling CJ out of the couch and brought him to the room immediately.

I can't let him hear those from Mama. I would be doomed, too.

The moment I closed and locked the door, I groaned in dismay and curled my fist. "What was that, Clark?!"

"Sorry. 'Yon lang ang naisip kong paraan para 'di nila malaman ang totoo—"

"So using me was a great solution to this mess you made? Really? Clark James Saavedra? That's so cowardly of you."

"It was not my intention, Blaise."

I glared at his face, and imagined how it would be if I punched his face until he bleeds. "Do you know how much I wanted to beat you up now?"

"Ikaw, kung gusto mo," he said. "Thinking that I owe you a lot now, deserve ko na ang lahat ng galit mo sa akin."

Even though I wanted to throw an undercut, I tossed away his things straight to his face instead. "Leave. Now."

He seemed to have no choice other than to leave. He brushed past me, opening the door and shutting it. He left, as I tried to process everything that happened.

Thinking today was so strange, I pinched my cheek so hard, trying to wake myself from this horrible dream. But, it wasn't a dream, unfortunately.

I went out of my room one more time, and there, I was greeted by Mama in the corridor. "Oh, asan na boyfriend mo?" she asked all of a sudden.

It's real. My parents are now taking the bite from our lies—that Clark and I are dating. Why the hell did I agree to this stupidity of his in the first place? This is too much.

"Siya nga pala, tumawag si Den sa Papa mo. Ang sabi, do'n ka raw mag-dinner sa kanila. Kayo ni CJ," Mama added, which left me confused.

Why would all of a sudden her parents invite us tonight? I find it suspicious. And so, I took my phone and called her. But then, she doesn't answer. I went online but she wasn't active either. Instead, I received a call from Clark. "What?"

"Punta raw tayo mamaya kina Denisse," he said.

"That's what Mama said to me, just now. May occasion ba?"

"Hindi ko alam, pero masama kutob ko. Baka nalaman nina Tita Anne ang tungkol sa'min. Kaya, possibly, confiscated ang phone ni Denisse. Ayaw niya sumagot eh."

He has a point. I don't remember any occasion that would happen today either. Denisse would even tell us ahead of time if there's any.

"So what now?" I asked.

"Kahit anong mangyari, sabihin mo na ikaw ang nililigawan ko at hindi siya. Sabihin mo na ginamit ko si Denisse para takpan ang relasyon natin."

"What if I tell the truth instead?"

"Please, Blaise. I'm begging you. Kahit na marami na akong kasalanan sa 'yo, do me a favor. Gagawin ko ang lahat, makabawi lang sa'yo. Swear to God."

His voice begging for me was amusing to my ears. Instead of answering him, I ended the call. This ain't really good at all.

The night came, Clark waited for me at the gate. I only wore a casual fit, which he did the same too. Without a word, we headed to Denisse's house immediately. I didn't talk to him until we reached their gates. There, we were greeted by her parents, Tita Anne and Tito Den.

"Good evening po," I greeted politely. Clark went second, and they all smiled back to us. But then, I already sensed a trace of upset in her father's face.

At their dining, we already saw Denisse at the table, patiently waiting but her face says it all—she has been scolded.

Her family served many delicious foods for us, but the moment they asked us, I knew they hid an agenda. "Is it true... na sinagot ka ni Denisse, Clark?"

"Hindi po—"

"Masamang magsinungaling, Clark. Alam namin ang namamagitan sa inyo ni Denisse."

"Dad, please," Denisse herself interfered, but her dad answered her with a glare.

"Ikaw, Blaise. You already knew this for a long time. Bakit hindi ka nagsumbong sa amin?" Tito Den asked, turning his attention to me.

I was startled once again. "Sorry po, Tito Den. Tita Anne."

"I guess it's the time to keep her away from the two of you—"

"Ang totoo po," I spoke, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. "Ginamit namin si Denisse para matago ang tungkol sa'min..."

I turned to him sheepishly, as he held my hand just the way he did in front of my parents. "Sa 'min ni Clark."

Denisse was stunned. Her parents were surprised to hear that, but at the same time, Tito Den seemed not convinced enough with my words.

We explained the best way we could cover up their relationship, until they also took a bite on our lies.

Fuck you, Clark. Why do I have to do this for you?