CHAPTER 6

Saturday. As the warmth of the sun rays reached my skin, I woke to see my arm, resting over his torso. He was facing the ceiling while my face was half-buried on his side. The fabric of his sando was so thin that I could feel the shape of his body as he breathed, yet I didn't dare to move just so he wouldn't wake up.

Little did he know, I have always wished for something like this.

Why can't we be?

Amidst the silence that the morning brought, it was broken by a few knocks on my door. I got up just before it opened. "Nak, may pupuntahan lang kami saglit. Kayo na bahala rito ha?" Mama said.

I nodded, then she closed the door again.

Now, I'm all alone with him in this house. I turned to him, just to watch him still sleeping quietly. I smiled, like I have never been upset with him for the past weeks of my life. Then, I came up with an idea, pulling my feet towards the door and I left the room.

To the kitchen I headed and saw some foods they left for us. I opened the cupboards and grabbed a box of pancake mix. There, I decided to cook some pancakes... for him.

Just before I could even finish, I felt someone appeared behind me. "Good morning," he greeted.

I didn't want to respond, just so he could still feel guilty for what he had done. And, the more he feels bad, the more he gets himself closer to me.

After cooking, I served the pancakes on the table where he was already waiting, but the sight of him in our dining room made my cheeks burn.

I can't help it but to think like we were a coupl—

"Napa'no ka? Namumula pisngi mo," he pointed out, which made me rush to the bathroom.

I went to the mirror to see myself. He wasn't wrong. I was blushing.

I shook my head, hoping to get those daydreams out of my mind. I might lose myself too soon if I don't control my thoughts.

And, most importantly, I might ruin us.

I went out, pretended like nothing happened and took a seat. I didn't dare to look at him, but in my peripheral vision, I saw him taking glances on me.

"Stop staring at me," I said.

"Eh parang galit ka pa rin sa 'kin," he replied. "Mahirap ka talagang suyuin kapag nagtatampo. Tapos, kung tatanungin, hindi naman sumasagot. Pare-pareho lang talaga kayo ni Denisse."

"Make amends or I'll kick you out of this house."

"Okay, okay. Fine. Just let me finish. Sarap ng pancake mo. Salamat ha."

Little did he know, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't do the same.

In return for my service, he washed the dishes. I was on the couch in the living, just watching his back. His broad shoulders became a mansion view, until my eyes went down to his arms he seemingly been working on for the past months.

Denisse. The lucky girl you are. I wished I was you who he had fallen for.

When he turned around, I quickly looked at my phone, acting busy. He went to the vacant space beside me, crossed arms and stared at me. "What?" I asked coldly.

"May natitipuhan ka na ba?"

His question was so sudden I was stunned. I try to respond, but my tongue is holding me back to speak.

"Though we've been friends since then, wala pa akong naririnig sa 'yo about sa mga crush mo. Hindi ka pa ba naiinlove, Blaise?" he added.

"Corny question," I said.

He leaned closer to my face, like he was trying to decipher my thoughts. "Sino crush mo?" he whispered to my ears.

At that moment, my heart was racing once more. We were so close that one wrong move, his lips would reach my cheek. I could even feel his breath, tingling all the butterflies in me.

"Wala," I replied.

He goes back leaning on the sofa. "Sinungaling," he said. "Kailangan mo balak magka-boyfrie—"

"I have my own timeline, Clark. I will do things at the right place, at the right time. Or else, I'll end up hurting myself."

I crossed my arms, still not looking at him. I stared at the wall instead. "I'm not like you. You chose to defy your mind and let your heart conquer your decisions. Did the fact Denisse can't marry you ever cross your mind one time? Did you ever think this won't hurt her if her parents find out? Did you ever think I will be dragged into your situation for hiding your relationship?"

This time, I finally turned to him. "Hindi, 'di ba?"

There, he was stunned. He didn't see me coming, I bet. But. amidst the worry my questions would cause, he smiled. "Sorry, pero mahal ko si Denisse. Matagal na..."

Matagal na.

Those words echoed in my mind. There was a hint of betrayal on what I felt upon hearing that. All this time, he wanted her, while I was chasing my hopes he'd see in a better view.

I was too late to realize.

"Since when?" I asked, almost shaking as it escaped from the lump in my throat.

"Dati pa. No'ng elementary pa lang tayo—"

"Eh 'di sana sinabi mo na noon pa, Clark," I said, now slightly raising my voice. I didn't intend to, but he was already taken back.

"Para ano? Para itaboy ako ni Tita Anne at Tito Den?"

"NO!"

"EDI ANO, BLAISE?"

I was about to answer, but I realized I couldn't. How am I supposed to tell him that I wished he had told me he already liked Denisse so that I could have withdrawn my feelings for him—when I had the chance to?

I ended up just staring at him, as he waited for me to speak. But still, I didn't.

"Hindi ka rin makasagot eh—"

"I don't want to see you hurting in the end either, Clark. Ayaw ko ring magkawatak-watak tayo kung malaman nila ang tungkol sa relasyon ny—"

"Relasyon? Anong relasyong pinag-uusapan ninyo?"

My eyes widened when I heard Mama's voice. I didn't notice they were already at the door, just near the couch we were sitting on. Their sudden presence startled me as the two of them stared at us back. I presumed they heard me.

We're doomed.