CHAPTER 4

Just like he did, I leaned towards the barricade and traveled my sight over the grassy field, flourishing beyond their backyard. The kids from our neighborhood can be seen here, running around as their kites tried to reach the skies. Their laughter reminds me of our youthful days.

"May mali ba akong nagawa, Blaise?" he opened a question, breaking the silence between us.

"Wala naman... siguro."

He seemed not convinced with my reply. "Pansin kong nagtatampo ka simula noong... nililigawan ko na si Deniss—"

"Sinabi kong wala, 'di ba? And don't drag Denisse into our conversation."

"Then, why are you upset? Paano ako magsosorry sa'yo kung 'di mo masabi kung ano ba talaga ang nagawa kong mali."

Stupid of him. How can he not know? Palibhasa, puro Denisse na lang siguro laman ng utak niya. He couldn't remember what he had promised to me at all. I see it already—no chance.

"You will eventually know, Clark, if you remember what you promised."

If he can't remember everything, then maybe leaving his question unanswered will make him think of me instead of her. I will bother his nights the way they do the same to me without knowing.

"Sasabihin ko kay Tita Bianca 'yang pagtatampo mo sa 'kin," he jokingly said.

"Immature of you," I responded. "If the two won't come, I'll leave now—"

Behind the door, I caught the two peeking at us, and suddenly pretending they didn't see me. "Wow, ang ganda pala ng bahay ni Clark," Larry said, as Krissa was busy clearing her throat.

After the two showed up, we started our discussion—like nothing happened. Of course, I acted like I wasn't upset with him. We came up with our three tentative titles and established the SOPs.

Ate Pechay even brought us merienda. "Merienda muna para sa mga brainy kids like me! Char!" she joked, as she put the tray of bread and a jar of orange juice on our table.

She looked at me, and panicked for a second. "Ay hala, bawal ka pala ng mga juice-juice! Teka ka lang!"

"'Wag na, Ate Pechay!" I said, but hurriedly left the terrace.

I sighed, while the other two were confused. "Hindi ka pala umiinom ng mga gan'to? Masarap naman ah," Larry asked, sipping from his glass to quench his thirst.

"Health reasons. That's all that I could say," I replied.

Ate Pechay then came back with a jar of water. "Pasensya ka na, wala na akong makitang yogurt sa ref," she apologized.

"Si Ate naman, nagsosorry pa talaga. Water's totally fine."

She then left eventually, leaving us with the snacks and jars she brought.

By 12 o'clock, we decided to wrap up our discussions. We went down together, until we reached the gates. I was about to leave with the two when Clark held my arm. "May sasabihin pa sana ako sa'yo," he said.

Before I could say "no", Krissa spoke. "Mauna na kami! Bye!"

They hurriedly left the neighborhood, leaving me with this guy I'm upset with. I turned to him, frowning. "What?"

"Would you still promise me na hinding-hindi mo sasabihin ang totoo kina Papa?" he asked, showing me his face with traces of worries.

"And why would you think I would drag myself into your business?" I asked back. "Just because I'm your bestfriend, doesn't mean I have to meddle in every trouble you would make in your life, Clark. We're growing up. Learn to handle everything on your own."

With that, I silenced him and left his home. I should really avoid him—for the sake of my peace. If he's thinking he might get into a mess because he courted Denisse, he should have known it in the first place.

It's been long known that Denisse will be married to someone else. She has been preparing herself in her entire life, because she had no other choice. We even tried to convince her parents before, but they weren't satisfied enough to give her heart the freedom to choose whom she would love to. They couldn't give us a clear answer—instead, they told us to keep her away from anyone who tries to court her.

That's why she hasn't been in a relationship ever since, even though she could pull a lot of guys if she wanted to.

Now, how could I even guard her when Clark, who's supposed to do the same, is courting her? They're completely out of their minds. Knowing how terrible her parents are when they get mad—I don't want to meddle on them anymore. Bahala na sila sa buhay nila.

Night came, I was busy doing homework when I received a text from Denisse.

From: Didi

Punta kami plaza. Sama u?

I stared at my phone, deciding whether I should text back or nah. But, it's Denisse. She's still my friend.

To: Didi

Sorry. Next time nalang. Busy pa ako.

From: Didi

:'( Okie.

I shook my head, as I imagined the two, clinging into each other arms while walking past the light posts in the streets. Head held high, I tried to push back my tears. Times were better when we had only us. Now, they have each other while I'm here in my room, enduring the pain of getting left behind.

I could totally understand if Clark dated someone else. But, my two bestfriends are having their own world now without me. That's the issue. That's why I'm upset.

If anyone hears all of the thoughts, someone would call me selfish, that I can't let those two have fun without me, or I have to be with them at all times. But, we promised to be each other's side until we get older.

My sight panned to the picture frame resting next to my papers. It was a photo of us three, hugging each other with smiles reaching our ears. If I knew everything would go like this back then, I should have let myself get attached to them. I wished we grew apart in the first place if I have to sit in this hurt.

Upon hearing sudden knocks on my door, I wiped off those little tears that managed to escape from my eyes. I fixed myself just before it opened, flashing the figure of my Mom. "Ma? Bakit po?" I asked, and my eyes went to the paperbag she brought.

"Napadaan si Didi. Naghatid siya ng pagkain. Eto, para sa'yo daw 'to," she said, handing me the bag. "Kain ka raw ng marami. Sobrang busy mo raw kasi sa acads at sa student council. Baka napapabayaan mo na raw sarili mo."

"Salamat po."

Mama then walked out of the room, leaving me the bag Denisse gave me. I opened it, and the smell of siopao greeted me. Somehow, a joy sparked in me.

"Wow, what's that?"

"Siopao. Gusto mo?"

"Yes! I wanna try!"

I let her take a bite on my siopao. At first, she looked confused. Seconds later, she nodded, approving the taste of my comfort food.

The next day, she brought me a box of siopao. It was one of the happiest days of my childhood. And, everytime I get sad, she does the same. She knows how to comfort me in the best way.

That's why I can't hate her the way I despised Clark. Why the hell can't he do the same as well?