CHAPTER 3

It was the ceiling in the infirmary that greeted me upon waking up. I saw the two beside the bed, surprising them as I sat up. "Gosh, you're awake!" Denisse hugged me. "How are you feeling?"

"Better, I guess."

"Ihatid ka namin ngayon pauwi kung hindi mo pa kaya pumasok—"

Just as he spoke, I interrupted him. "I can handle myself," I said, with a smile I faked.

"Nagtatampo ka ba?"

I was taken aback. I couldn't even look straight to them. I don't know if I could reply to him honestly, but... who am I to feel like this?

"There's just a lot of things in my head, Clark. Thanks for your concern, anyway."

I left the infirmary, together with them. Denisse and I had a usual talk while we walked through the empty corridor, lit by the rays from the setting sun. She was blabbing about how she felt upon seeing bitter stares from some girls in the school, now that she's yet to join the Mister and Miss Campus Ambassadors. Clark kept his hands in his pockets, listening behind us. Bet he already knew that I don't want to talk with him as of the moment.

Upon reaching the classroom, my mind reminded me of the meeting this morning. How could some have the audacity to make out on the campus?

As I took a glance at the two of them, I couldn't deny that they crossed my mind during the meeting earlier. Although I grew up with them since then, I don't know how his mind works now. I even noticed that he changed from the CJ I knew, knowing his new circle of friends are a bunch of a-holes. How could he tolerate such people in his life?

After class, the two told me they couldn't go home with me tonight. Denisse was feeling sorry, but I assured them I could already handle myself and won't pass out again. When they finally left, I went home all alone, still with a heavy heart.

Time passed, and it's been a month since they dated. We don't get to go home together anymore. Sometimes, I had to spend my recess and lunch breaks with my council mates. Oftentimes, they would invite me to go somewhere, but I would always decline and let them have their time alone.

They're better off without me.

One day, the class was going to be divided for the research defense. Our adviser chose the members of each group, and unfortunately, the two weren't in the same group. Clark went to our adviser and was trying to request a transfer to Denisse's group, but it wasn't granted, leaving him in dismay.

And, unfortunately, we were in the same group. He's seated beside me, but his eyes were stuck to Denisse. "Ba't ayaw mo naman sa 'min, Clark? Eh andito nga si Blaise. Sureball, pasado na tayo sa defense," one of our groupmate, Larry, said.

He looked at me, like he had no choice.

Larry and Krissa, the only girl in our group, were looking at us, confused. "Nag-away ba kayo?" she asked, which surprised me.

"Hindi naman," I shortly replied.

"Ni hindi mo nga ako pinapansin..."

I turned to him upon hearing his whisper, just enough for me to hear it. He stared at nowhere, dodging my sight.

"Naku, mukhang manganganib pala grupo natin," Krissa realized.

Later on, Clark finally spoke about our plans for our research. He suggested that we come up with our topic at his home tomorrow. They agreed, which left me with no other choice.

The next day. It's the weekend. No class. Supposed to be a rest day, but I'm in front of my closet, staring at the piles of clothes. It's just funny that I can't decide what to wear when his home is just one house away.

It's already 9 o'clock when I checked my watch. I bet the two are already there.

"Sa'n ka?" Mama asked, as I went out of my room.

"Kina CJ po."

"Overnight kayo ni Denisse?"

The moment that she asked that, I chuckled. "Meeting lang po para sa research namin," I answered.

"Okay. Pakabait ka do'n."

I left home, passing through our gate. My mind was flashing some memories because of what Mama said.

Back then, we would go to either CJ or Denisse's house and spend time together. We would play, eat some snacks, run around, watch some movies, or even lay outside their backyards and stargaze. Just good ol' times. Just us, being happy together.

But, I don't think it'll happen again anytime soon.

At their gate, I was greeted by his little sister, who was playing with their pet dog. "Good morning, Clarisse. Where's your Kuya CJ?"

"Hi po, Kuya BB!" she said, as the innocence on her face overflowed, melting my heart. She's calling me BB, because she can't completely say my name. "Kuya Chichi is there!"

She pointed to their house. He might be waiting inside. Meanwhile, I carried little Clarisse and brought her with me. She's just too young to be alone with their dog in their front yard. I wondered where their nanny went.

I went through their front door, and there, Ate Pechay, their nanny, greeted me. "Ikaw pala 'yan, Blaise! 'Kala ko sino."

She took little Clarisse from my arms and pointed upstairs. "Ando'n sya sa itaas, kanina pa nagd-drama," she said. "May nangyari ba sa kanya?"

I shrugged, pretending I don't know anything. "'Di ko po alam, Ate."

"Sige, puntahan mo na. Baka tumalon pa 'yon mamaya," she worriedly said, pushing me to the stairs.

I went up and the corridor on the second floor was empty. Tita Linda and Tito Clint seemed not here, as usual.

I headed to their terrace, and there, I saw his figure, leaning on the barricade and staring at nowhere. He's alone. The two haven't arrived yet.

I was about to leave when he caught my presence. "Blaise."

"CR muna ako," my excuse, but he went towards me and quickly held my arm.

"Usap muna tayo," he said.