CHAPTER 1

Blaise.

The name he called in the corridor, flooded with students in their casual fits. The school was actually celebrating a special day— a few people can only relate. There, a guy was running through the crowd, just like how Moses divided the sea; our schoolmates found themselves leaning towards the walls of the hallway, and their eyes followed him until he stood right in front of me. Panting, he bended, breathing heavily as his hand landed on my shoulder.

"Good morning," I greeted, while feeling a bit anxious now that we shared everyone's attention. "Seem in a hurry—"

"Where's Denisse?" he asked, looking around to find our dear friend.

"She'd be in a minute, she texted. Why?"

"Blaise," he called me once more, but now with a trace of uneasiness. "Narinig kong may nanliligaw sa kanya..."

I raised my brow in confusion, but eventually, the joy in my lips faded in. "Really? Great for he—"

"No, hindi pwede, Blaise."

"Bakit naman?"

He looked into my eyes, and I could already tell what he's about to say. I didn't hope for this to happen at all...

"I like her, Blaise. Gusto ko nang sabihin sa kanya na gusto ko siya."

Before I could even process it, someone was already standing behind him, as if his words summoned her. I could see the surprise in her face, as she looked straight to me. My eyes went to him and her, again and again, until he turned around to see who I was staring at his back.

At that moment, I saw the joy overflowing in her smile. She surely heard it, of course. He likes her, that's what he loudly said.

I was there, watching them embrace each other. Everyone in the corridor cheered, as we all witnessed a romance filmesque between the two of them. A happy ending like, perhaps.

But, I wouldn't consider it—at all. Instead, it was cringe.

I was cringing so bad.

So bad—enough to cover up the hurt, pinching the heart in me. I've always been afraid of this moment to come, and now it really happened, right before my eyes, at the most unexpected time of our lives.

As he grabbed that one rose he hid beneath his shirt at his back, I saw the glimmers in her eyes. She surely has dreamt of this. I mean, we both did, but it only came true to her, leaving me with no more hope in the corner.

"Kiss! Kiss!" the boys teased in the hallway.

To escape all of their attention, he took her hand, and they both ran away. With the smiles on their faces, I already knew—time has come; they will leave me behind... eventually.

I spent Valentine's day alone, with the chocolate bar I bought for myself. It was a bit overpriced, since it was sold at the booths lining up beside the hall. Still, I'm glad I don't have someone to share this with.

"Aruy, mag-isa lang si Blaise," someone teased, somewhere within my vicinity. I looked around and saw the boys in our class, laughing at me.

"Si Harold, Blaise! Available daw siya!"

Here they go. Unfortunately, I can't make any trouble here, since I'm a student council member and I'm supposed to do my job to make everyone here follow the policies.

But, if I wasn't, I'd give my own fists the freedom to land on someone's face.

I looked back at them, glaring to death. They ran away, fortunately.