Chapter 2: Escape Plan

Start from the beginning

Crap. What should I do? Maybe tell them I have to go to the bathroom? Then I can try to make a run for it or ask an employee at the facility for help.

     Yes! my better judgement nods in approval. Now, that's a plan.

     Very timidly, I clear my throat. Neither Khleo nor Trey seem to notice.

     Louder, Charlotte.

     Again, I clear my throat using more conviction this time. Khleo's eyes glance at me in the rear view mirror and his right eyebrow raises expectantly.

     "I, uh..."

     "What?"

     "I need to go to the bathroom..."

     He narrows his eyes at me through the mirror.

     Crap. He's onto me.

     He pushes the phone button on the steering wheel and a ringing carries throughout the car.

     "What's up?" the gang leader asks on the other end.

     "She has to go to the bathroom. What do you want me to do?"

     "Take her to a gas station, but keep a close eye on her. Don't let her escape."

     "Okay."

     The line goes dead.

     Khleo eyes me warily and I'm starting to second guess my escape plan. With each adjustment of the steering wheel, his thick biceps ripple in ultimatum and I wonder if I even have a chance. Not to mention the gang leader's words and the fact that my stomach is a fiery inferno of pain.

     Will I be able to escape?

     A few minutes later, Khleo signals and pulls into a 7-Eleven on the right. We come to a stop and he gets out to open my door. Immediately, he secures a tenacious hold on my upper arm so I can't make a getaway. He continues this unrelenting grip as I step out of the back seat.

     What, is he gonna keep a hold on me while I go to the bathroom too?

     I follow close behind him and into the small building. Scanning the few aisles of snacks and drinks, I pray that I'll spot the cashier or an employee, anyone that can help me, but there's no one in sight. The cramped store is ominously empty and quiet.

     That's odd...

     I really wish I had my phone on me so I could call the police from the bathroom. I left it at work today and didn't get a chance to retrieve it...

     Racking my brain for options, my panic is beginning to strangle me as nothing comes to mind and dread, thick and heavy, weighs down my limbs. Keeping up with Khleo's long stride is getting more and more arduous with each fretful step.

     Maybe the bathroom will have a window?

     Yes. A window!

     I offer a silent prayer to the heavens that this gas station's bathroom has a window savior.

     "Try to make it quick," Khleo commands upon reaching the single room bathroom at the back of the store. A brief glance inside reveals there is, in fact, no window.

     Dang it.

     Then I see it.

     It's as if a liberating beam of light from heaven is shining down to illuminate an emergency exit at the end of the hall.