Not dead... yet

Chapter 2

I stand in the doorway, my body frozen. If I make one more step, what will happen? Will this be how I go? 

A giggle echoes in the kitchen. A giggle. Is this funny to whoever broke into my house? Is this some kind of prank? 

I collect myself, and push the door open with my right hand, leaving as many finger prints as possible... you know, in case anything happens. 

"SURPRISE!" About 30 people jump up from behind the kitchen counter, all wearing light blue - my favourite colour. How nice. 

My chest heaved rapidly with heavy panting, my heart feels like it's about to jump out at all 30 of them, or explode. My breathing returns to normal as my best friends Trina and Allison run up to me, hugging me tightly. The pressure of their bodies squeezing mine helps reduce my panic. 

So this is why they have been ignoring me. 

"What the f*ck, guys?" I opened my mouth with the intention of yelling at them, but all comes out is a whisper. "I thought I was going to die, and already pictured all of you at my funeral..."

They laughed, however the adrenaline running in my veins does not allow my face muscles to produce anything other than a frown. "Why is there a knife on the floor? I thought that was about to become a murder weapon." My murder weapon. 

"Trina brought a cake for you, but the knife fell out of the bag, and it was too late to run up and get it. The surprise would have been spoiled." Allison stated, with a hopeful smile that I am not mad. Oh I am mad. But I'll be mad at them later. 

"I also brought booze! Who's ready to party?" Everyone let out a "Whooooooo!" but me. Everyone froze, looking at my reaction. They understood how scared I was. How anxious I was. 

I let out a sigh. A long one. One of those sighs that make your shoulders drop, your heart sink, and your knees weak. "Let's party!" - I say, with a half-awkward, half-uncomfortable smile. They bought it, and resumed to whatever they were doing. Some chunk of people are getting alcoholic drinks out, another chunk are cutting up cake, and the rest are on the kitchen utensils team - unpacking paper plates, plastic cups, forks and spoons. 

After I calmed down and got in the partying mood, everything started going well. Everyone sang the Happy Birthday song, I blew out the candles, we ate the cake, and proceeded to dance to music, sipping on our disgustingly good drinks - rum and coke. Good enough. I need some relaxation after today. 

After some time, Nick comes up to me. I liked him for a couple months now, and I think he feels the same way, however we are both too shy to actually talk about our feelings. Maybe tonight was the night.

"Lily, I have a surprise for you!" - he whispers at my ear. I can feel his warm minty breath on my neck, which sends shivers down my spine. "Mhm?" is the only sound that comes out of me. 

"Come with me." - he says, offering his hand. I tilt my head slightly to the side, smiling, my each step filled with shyness. We might or might not be too drunk for this. 

I follow him outside, walking up to a black sedan. I can't quite see what the car is, it is too dark to tell. We stand there, in silence.

"Get in!" he says. He has been drinking. So have I. We can't drive. What if something happens? 

"I can't. You've been drinking." - I say, hoping he won't find my answer lame. 

He walks up to me, grabs both of my hands, bringing them close to his chest, looking me in the eyes. "Do you trust me?"

Of course I trust him. How could I not? Maybe it's the teenage love hormones hitting my brain. Regardless, I feel safe. The way he holds my hands reassures me that everything will be okay. Even better than okay. It will be awesome. 

I open my mouth to reply, however nothing comes out. All I can feel is the air exiting my mouth, and the butterflies flying around in my stomach. Instead, I just nod. 

We get in his car... Maybe this wasn't a bad idea after all. Or maybe it was the stupidest thing we could have done.