Chapter Ten: And Plan C is...?

Comincia dall'inizio

Then, tumultuous talking  breaks out. People are shouting and discussing this revelation, whilst I pretend to clutch my belly holding my unborn child.

'How did that happen?'

'She can't be serious!'

'Then...this is it? That's her? She's our new Queen?'

'He chose her?'

'HER?'

'She's hot--'

'...HEEEERRR?'

I hear Hadrian grinding his teeth. 'You are so dead. There's no way they'll believe me if I deny it now.'

I take his hand with a smile. 'Darling, I'm already dead.'

Jefferson is rushing over to congratulate me, wheezing as if he could actually get ill here. He grabs my hand with trembling fingers, and kneels at my feet. 

'My Queen! It is...I apologise for not showing you greater respect earlier! It is an honour! If I had only known, thank heavens that love conquers all!'

Conquering conquers all. Including love, you silly fool.

'There is no need to apologise to me, good sir,' I put my most queenly voice into act, smiling good-naturedly around at all my subjects. It almost comes naturally. 'You were not to know. Hadrian-- ah, that is, I wished the King to know of it first.'

Jefferson looks delighted that he is now sharing spotlight. He takes over as my interviewer, posing questions I'm not sure someone as old as my grandfather should ask. 'And how did this happen? Tell us, my Queen, we are dying to know!'

I shoot a shy glance at my husband, who is looking quite green at his new "father" status. I pat my belly once more for good measure, whilst taking his hand in my free one, and squeezing it. The crowd aaaawws at our display, but Hadrian's eyes meet mine. He knows that I'm only reminding him to play his part.

'Actually, Hadrian...the King came down to my town to take my brother's life,' I begin speaking.

The crowd has gathered in front of the steps, including the orchestra, their instruments left strewn around the stands. Couples that had been dancing are still holding one another, their mouths open. And at the back, Cerberus has sat by Mercer, and the dog gives me a thoughtful stare. I can almost sense her quirking an eyebrow.

Mercer is believing every word I say, the daft brush. He knows I'm a virgin, for heavens' sake! We had a discussion about it!

'I was always an inquisitive young girl. The moment I lay eyes on this man--' I took Hadrian's hands in mine, '--I knew that he was something special. At first, I wanted revenge for the man that killed my brother...but then, something else blossomed.'

A stalker fetish. An obsession.

Jefferson whispers, 'Love.'

I smile beautifully, letting my face show the happiness that all of these people were buying my crappy love story.

'We had something there. A spark. A connection. You could feel it when we entered a room, and when I looked into his beautiful ice blue eyes...'

I pause, glancing to make sure that his eyes were in fact ice blue. The eyes in question fix on me, incredulous. 

'We thought we hated each other. But what we actually felt was passion, passion that took us further than I have been with any other man...'

The crowd takes in a deep breath. And I want to laugh out loud, because if they were to ask me to describe it I'd have to get really creative. But of course they were buying it all.

'And the morning after, I volunteered to become his Bride,' I finished. 'I have slept with no other except my rightful husband. I have not sinned!'

I address this plea to the crowd, engaging them in supporting my brilliant love.

'As for the baby...I was supposed to bleed last month. I have not.'

The crowd takes in yet another sharp breath, this time setting fervent whispers across the crowd. Confusion is etched on everyone's faces.

'If he slept with her on Earth, has she become his official wife?' A man near the front speaks up. He's removed his mask, revealing plain features and a straight nose. 

Jefferson looks puzzled. 'I'm not sure. I will have to consult the records, I am certain this has not happened before...'

'And what of the King?' one of the girls near to us-- the dark haired one-- demands. 'What has he got to say about her? Of course she's in love with him. But does he love her?'

Making a mental note of you, crazy bi--

'I share her feelings,' Hadrian says. 

I'm so shocked I nearly drop his hand. It had been the perfect opportunity to tell everyone that I was a lunatic. That he wanted me out of his big death mansion, right now. These girls certainly wanted to, and some of the men looked in love with Hadrian too and would take the chance to have me thrown out. 

So why didn't he?

I push the thought from my mind. 

The crowd starts talking avidly once more, and Jefferson is looking so excited he might pee himself. My chest is feeling uncomfortable in the heat of the intense room, and I breathe out, feeling a little faint. 

Hadrian stands up, wrapping his arms around me in a protective manner. 'Are you okay?'

My heartbeat sets off at a remarkable pace, conscious of his beautiful hair looming closer as he peers into my eyes. The dream is shattered that he might genuinely be worried when his eyes narrow as he pretends to press his forehead to mine, and his hair flops over the crowd's view. 

'You'll want to die a true death, Nerissa, once I'm through with you.'

But when he pulls away, his face is serene and joyful. Continuing to cradle me, he addresses the crowd. 

'My wife is feeling a bit unwell, I'm afraid. Early pregnancy combined with her gentle disposition means that I would be grateful if you could continue the party without us. After all...it is our wedding night, and I'd like to take my time...'

Nerissa 2 - Hadrian 2.

What? I want to yell. You want to take me somewhere dark and dangerous, and alone?

No to the hell to the way!

Ginger looks venomous. She wants to swap places and spend a hot night with the ruler of the Underworld. Little does she know how long this night will probably be, if I don't escape somehow.

Except...

...I've written my own death sentence, yet again. After all, why should his adoring wife have any reason to fear?

I hear Mercer whooping in a drunken manner as Hadrian sweeps me off my feet. His gorgeous jawline is darn close as he loops his arm around my back and my legs, so that I'm lying flat and staring at his chest.

Each step Hadrian takes as he carries me out of the hall becomes louder as we leave the crowds behind. Then, I hear the doors shut behind us, and the eerie silence of there only being two of us sets in.

Unusually quiet, I lie in Hadrians's arms as he leads me to his chambers-- down into the basement of the castle.

A/N: Dun dun duun! Did you like it? How devious is Nerissa? 

But how do you think Hadrian will get her back? As you can probably tell...neither likes to lose!

lots of love

Larissa