Comes Great Responsibility

Start from the beginning

"Ok. Gabby replied, pausing for a moment, "There. I'm as far back from the door as I can get!" Anne then grinned under her mask, using web lines from both hands on the door, and yanking as hard as she could, ripping the door off its hinges and sending it flying through the living room.

Gabby gasped as she saw her savior wasn't a firefighter, but some weirdo in a costume, "Who are you!? And where's the firefighter!?"

Anne then rushed into the room, noticing there wasn't a window in Gabby's room. Anne then turned to Gabby and held out her hand, "Come with me if you wanna get out of here." Anne said calmly, surprising even herself.

Gabby looked too shocked to respond as she slowly grabbed Anne's hand. Anne then rushed out of the apartment, kicking the door straight off its hinges with a single blow, "Where's the stairs?" Anne asked, her voice starting to sound more panicked. Gabby pointed down the left side of the hall, still coughing quite a bit.

Anne rushed out of the apartment just a huge chunk of the ceiling fell, and ran down the hall, hoping to make it to the stars quickly enough, only to find that they had already collapsed. "Oh no!" Gabby said through a fit of coughs, "What do we do now?"

Anne hesitated, what did she do now? She had mostly been running off of adrenaline, so she didn't really realize the situation she was in. She could try and go back through the apartment, but most of the ceiling had collapsed, and it might take too long to clear it. She couldn't just jump down the stairwell, there were bits of railing and debris down there, and that might end up hurting Gabby, but they couldn't stay there, they'd die of smoke inhalation, or just plain burn to death if the floor didn't collapse. Anne felt her breath quicken a little, before she had a small coughing fit as she inhaled the smoke.

Wait. The smoke! That was it! Anne looked up the stairwell, noticing the area above them free of debris, and more importantly, the fire escape door was still accessible. Anne then turned her back to Gabby as a plan formed in her mind, "Hop on." Anne said bracing for Gabby's weight.

"What?!" Gabby shouted in response, "What are you gonna do?!" Gabby shouted, still quite panicked.

"Just trust me." Anne said, looking Gabby dead in the eyes. Gabby hesitantly stepped forward and grabbed onto Anne's shoulders, gripping very tightly. Anne then jumped up into the stairwell, with Gabby screaming on her back the whole time, as Anne gripped on the extremely hot brick wall, she turned to look at the fire escape door at the top. Anne then shot a web at it, and yanked both her and Gabby straight at the door, kicking her way through it.

As the two emerged on the roof, Anne could hear people chatting and shouting as she walked to the edge. Anne looked over the edge, before looking back at Gabby, who was gasping for air.

"Shoot" Anne thought to herself, "She needs a doctor, now."

Anne then looked down at the ground below, spotting an ambulance near the back of the crowd on the other side of the street. Anne then took a deep breath and stepped back from the edge of the apartment building, before running up to the edge and leaping off, shooting out a web line across the road and swinging down to ground level.

Anne ended up landing only halfway across the road, which made her realize she needed to get better at precisely swinging, but was relieved when Gabby's father ran up to her.

"Oh thank god you saved her!" Gabby's father shouted as he pulled his daughter into a hug.

"She needs an ambulance. Now." Anne said before turning to swing away.

But before Anne could fully turn around, she heard Gabby speak, even though her voice sounded really strained, "Wait! Who are you?"

Anne then paused, wondering what she should say. She couldn't tell them her real name, she had to come up with some sort of alias. "Uhhhh." Anne tried her best to come up with something. Anything! She then felt like a lightbulb went off inside her head, the perfect hero name, "Call me, Spider-Knight!" Anne triumphantly stated before yanking herself into the air and swinging off into the distance.

As Anne swung she could hear the crowd cheering, and she quite enjoyed the sound of their cheers. It felt good to get recognized for helping others. Maybe she could start to do this sorta thing more often.

Anne looked down at her suit to check for ash, but it looked like her suit was perfectly clean, "Well, that's helpful." Anne said to herself, glad she didn't need to wash her suit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Anne hopped between rooftops, she made sure to be gentle with her landings, as she didn't want to accidentally scare her neighbors. Once Anne finally landed on top of her house, she slowly opened her window, crawling inside and gently closing it behind her before flopping down onto her bed. She then saw that familiar blue flash as her suit vanished, being replaced with the clothes she was wearing before it appeared.

Sadly just as Anne started to relax, Sprig burst into her room, "Anne you gotta come see this!" He said excitedly, dragging his sister out of bed.

"Alright alright I'm coming." Anne responded as she followed her little brother downstairs.

"Oh. Anne. Come here, sit down." Hop-Pop said as he turned up the volume on the TV.

"But I'm still grounded." Anne said sarcastically.

"It's fine. Just watch." Hop-Pop replied as Anne turned her attention to the TV.

It was currently on one of the news networks, with a headline that read, "New hero, or dangerous vigilante?"

The hostess was already in the middle of her spiel but Anne could already tell what she was talking about, "And while the reports are mostly positive, with people claiming this vigilante was a hero, saving a young woman's life, we still must ask the question, 'Is our hometown really safe in her hands.' Here's Jerimy live at the scene of the fire."

The screen then transitioned to an on scene view, just outside the building that looked like it had recently finished burning down. Standing in the center of the screen was a familiar face that Anne didn't expect to see. "Gabby's dad?" Anne muttered under her breath.

Jerimy then started to speak, "Thanks Kate. Just earlier today a fire broke out in our hometown of LA as an elderly woman ended up having a stroke while cooking. And while everyone managed to make it out of the building okay, one young lady almost didn't. My own daughter would've become a victim of a house fire if it wasn't for a new hero who only today made their first appearance." The screen then began to show footage of Anne swinging into the burning building, "As you can see the hero swung into the burning building without hesitation, resurfacing on the roof, only to dive down to bring a young lady to safety." The camera then showed a focus shot of Gabby.

"Could you please tell us what happened inside?"

"It was crazy." Gabby began, "I was trapped in my room at the moment they burst in, so I was calling out to others for help, but no one was coming. Then I heard a voice and thought that it was one of the firemen coming to save me, but it was, it was someone better. They ripped my bedroom door off its hinges, and pulled me out of the wreckage, then they kicked the front door down in a single blow. And when I thought we were done for, they carried me up the stairwell and we burst out onto the roof."

"And their name?"

"They called themselves Spider-Knight." Gabby said in an overly dramatic tone.

"Well there you have it folks." Jerimy said as the camera refocused on him, "The hero of LA has a name and it's Spider-Knight. Back to you Kate."