01. Golden Globes

Start from the beginning

The producers of House of the Dragon decided to send both you and one of your colleagues, Emma D'Arcy, on behalf of the show. Why this could possibly be a good idea, you didn't know. You were publicly known for being the clumsiest of the entire cast, but since you had barely done any of the press they wanted you to do, you couldn't bear yourself to turn them down when they asked you. Besides, this could be fun, right?

Not having Emily, one of your other co-stars around, was going to be hard during a night like this. The two of you got one another on a level you felt was unique from anything you had experienced before, and it felt good to be known so well by someone. You couldn't hide from Emily, the way you hid from everyone else, including yourself. The both of you being young, queer actors didn't make it any easier in the industry.

As much as every project was looking for 'diversity' now, many showrunners still had a tendency to allow straight cis people to play the small amount of queer roles there were in the industry. It had always seemed like a dream to you to play a queer character, but you knew this chance was highly unlikely. Though a lot of people loved making up rumours and assumptions about your character, Rhaenyra Targaryen, and her possibly having feelings for Emily's character, Alicent Hightower, you knew they were never going to create explicit gay relationships in a show like House of the Dragon, as it was located in the same universe as Game of Thrones, making anything outside of the heterosexual norm unacceptable to the rest of the characters.

You played the younger version of Rhaenyra, and as Emma played the older version of the character, the two of you didn't have much contact with one another during the shooting period. Emily was the only one you truly bonded with on set, which was fine to you as her friendship got you through the long days of filming, and made it a little more bearable to work on barely eight hours of sleep, which was far too less for you. 

Snapping you from your thoughts, the door to the hotel room opened, both your assigned makeup artist and hair stylist walking in. You had never experienced this level of treatment before, and it made you feel as if you were on top of the world. Sure, you had spent hours in makeup on set, but that was different. It was far too early to process what was happening when you were in the chair, and it became a standard procedure at some point. These were strangers you had never seen before putting you in full glam. You greeted the two middle-aged women politely, quickly putting aside the glass of liquor you were holding as you didn't want to seem like the basic Hollywood snob, because you were the exact opposite of that.

The alcohol had found its way to your brain, leaving you unable to think clearly, which took away a huge part of the stress that had taken over your thoughts. One of the two women requested you to sit down, which you quickly did. You may have lost your ability to think, but you were still polite enough to obey the older woman. With perfect timing, your phone buzzed the second you sat down. "Excuse me." You apologised as they were just setting up to get started with your hair of makeup. 

The noise that was coming from your phone was highly distracting, and you quickly grabbed it from your pocket. Not to any of your surprise, it was Emily trying to facetime you. Without a second thought, you hit accept. The brunette popped up on your screen, a smile spread across her face before she took in where you were. "Are you busy? Should I call back later?" She immediately asked you, causing you to make eye contact with the woman who was currently spreading her makeup across one of the dressers in the hotel room. She gave you the go ahead, and your eyes found their way back to Emily's.

"You're fine." You giggled, shaking your head. The younger woman looked at you suspiciously, almost as if she was looking for something. "Are you drunk?" The brunette guessed, barely half a minute into the call. You scoffed, oblivious to the way you were acting. "Is it that obvious?" You raised your eyebrows, almost unable to believe you had hit that level of drunk already. "Only to me." She reassured you, and as your eyes scanned the screen, you were able to detect several of her plushies, confirming she was in the comfort of her own bedroom. "I miss England already." A long sigh left your lips as the first brush touched your face, applying the rather cold product.