compulsion

luna andrews 

I'm sitting across from Morgan at my desk, reviewing some old file notes from our last case, as Reid plays himself in Chess. I'm looking occasionally as he looks at the white and black pieces.  When he doesn't notice, Gideon walks up, moving a white piece.

"Check," Gideon says, "Checkmate in three moves." 

Reid looks shocked, looking down at the board, "What?" 

Morgan smiles at Reid, "You know you'll beat him when you start learning." 

"Learning what?" Reid asks, looking confused. 

"To think outside the box," Morgan says, before looking back at this computer screen, clicking around on something. 

I look up at Reid, who makes eye contact with me. Smiling softly, I try at encouragement, "It's fine, Reid, you got it. You'll get him." 

He smiles at me, "Thanks." 

My attention is moved to Elle when I hear her heels coming down the stairs, "Question for you." 

"Shoot," Morgan says, glancing away from his computer screen for a second. 

"The footpath killer," Elle says, walking over to her desk across Reid, "Why did he stutter?" 

Smiling, I look over at Morgan to see his reaction. Ever since Gideon's interaction with the footpath killer, where he ended up with a shotgun in his face, we all have been wondering the same thing.

"Come on, Elle," Morgan exclaimed, "We've all asked him and he won't say." 

I raise my eyebrows and look at her, "He wants us to figure it out." 

Since Elle joined the team, and already being more friendly than me with the other members, I'm trying to step up my socializing game. Small talk isn't my thing.

"Okay," Elle says, looking between Morgan and me, "I'm up for a challenge." 

"Good, because these go to you," Jennifer Jareau walked quickly over with an armful of files, placing them next to where Elle was sitting on her desk, she held her hand out, "Special Agent Jennifer Jareau. J.J. if you like." 

"Elle." The two shook hands. 

"Greenaway," J.J. sounded impressed, "highest number of solved cases in Seattle three years running, specialty in sex offender cases." 

Elle is a hard worker, it shows in her history with the FBI. It even shows far before that, although I haven't made much small talk of pre-FBI life. 

Elle glanced at me before looking back at J.J., not expecting her to know that much about her, "Not bad." 

J.J., who is never in one spot for too long, starts to walk away, going up the stairs that Elle had come down recently, "Well, I'm the unit liaison. My specialty is untangling bureaucratic knots. You'll probably be talking to me a lot. My door's always open, mostly because I'm never in my office, so just call me on my cell, okay?" 

J.J. was one of the first team members I met, and right away she added her number to my phone and gave me the rundown of the place. She knows everything. 

Hotch is walking quickly over when she stops to ask him, "Did you watch it?" 

He doesn't stop before answering, a disc in his hand, and she quickly turns to keep up with him, "Yeah. I think everybody should see it. BAU team, can you meet me in the conference room, please? I need to show you something."

We all stand up and start filing up the stairs. Elle smiles at me as we walk side by side, keeping up with the quick pace. 

 Once in the conference room, I sit in between Reid and Morgan. After Morgan is J.J., Gideon, Elle, and Hotch. I open the case file in front of me with the others.