Chapter One

Five months earlier...

The war.

The war was over, she kept reminding herself.

It wasn't enough.

She knew the war was over, and yet there was a hole in the heart of the Night Court.

Amren's true form flashed by her vision every time she tried to close her eyes.

"Feyre, darling," came Rhysand's gravelly voice from the other side of the bed. "Are you awake?"

Feyre sat up, clutching the covers to her chest. "Yes."

Rhysand shifted, turning so that he could look at her. He brought an arm over her shoulder to stroke the back of her head with his hand. "It's early enough. We can get up for the day, if you'd like."

"Mm. Do we have to?" Feyre asked, flopping back onto her pillows. She curled towards her mate, who adjusted and pulled her to his chest. "We can just stay here all day. We now have all the time in the world, Rhys."

"For once, I will channel my inner Cassian and say fuck it to the work I have to do," Rhysand grumbled. "I'd much rather stay here with you."

They lay there for a minute, savoring the endless time that they now had.

But nothing could last forever.

Silent footsteps made their way into the room, the steps of someone who knew exactly how to keep quiet.

"Azriel." Rhysand's tone was playfully cold. "Good morning, brother."

"Good morning."

Feyre groaned. "High Lord business so early, Az?" she asked, burrowing her head into Rhysand's bare chest. "It's...whatever time it is."

"It's eleven a.m."

"Okay, well – fuck you," Feyre grumbled.

Azriel's answering snort was not the least offended. "I'm not here for Rhysand."

Feyre sat up at that, knitting her eyebrows together. "You're here for me?"

"Yes. But he's here for Rhysand."

Rhysand moaned, rubbing his eyes as Cassian strolled in. "By the mother – you two are truly insufferable, you know that, right?"

"A good morning to you, too, brother," Cassian said, grinning as always. "Most of us have been up already, running your court."

"What is it, Cass?" Rhysand asked curtly.

"It's our weekly meeting with Devlon today." Cassian crossed his arms over his chest. "Per usual, Rhys."

Azriel's hazel gaze flicked to Feyre. "And, my lady, a letter came for you."

Feyre frowned. "Why did you need to come here to tell me that?"

"It was delivered by a Lucien Vanserra."

Rhysand coughed as he continued to put on his tunic.

Feyre ignored him. "He's still here?" Azriel nodded. "Tell him I'll be right there."

Azriel nodded again and disappeared in a blur of shadows.

"Man, I wish I had that power," Cassian murmured. He turned to Rhys. "Are you done yet?"

"Almost." Rhysand flicked a piece of lint off of his shoulder. "I'm done."

Cassian turned to Feyre and rolled his eyes. "Your mate is a bit of a drama queen."