7: The Abandoned Production Zone

Start from the beginning

"I am already working on the proper consequence for him, but the fact still remains that you still executed an unauthorized punishment. You understand what this is grounds for, right?"

Elise now stuttered. "I-I was not aware that the Abandoned Production Zone was off limits. I was informed that's what it could be used for after I was hired."

"Who told you that?" Wriothesley snapped. "As far as I remember, I am the one who hired and trained you. Are you telling me that I gave you permission to use it for your own entertainment?"

"No, of course not! It was... I don't remember! It was years ago!" Elise now responded desperately. "You have to believe me, I didn't just make it up! The other guards have been using it too!"

"Save it," Wriothesley interjected. "I do not care about your pathetic excuses. It's over."

Elise dropped to her knees and then crawled over to his desk. "Please, don't punish me! I would do anything for you!"

"You have two choices: turn in your badge and resign, or I fire you. What will it be?"

You watched Elise sobbing and begging on the floor before Wriothesley. You couldn't help but pity her a little bit. But still you kept your mouth shut. You could only imagine how many other people Elise had taken advantage of in the past and had been getting away with her abuse all this time.

"Please don't make me leave from here," Elise cried. "I don't want to leave you!"

"You have three seconds to give me your decision," Wriothesley responded uncaringly.

"Please! I..." her eyes suddenly widened, as though she was about to lose her sanity. "I love you so much!! I won't be able to live without you!! Please, don't make me go away! I want to be with you! Please don't fire me because of this... this stupid bitch! I know you're only doing this because of her! I promise I am so much better! I will give you anything! I will do anything!"

Your jaw dropped at her sudden confession. It truly was pathetic. Wriothesley felt the same because the look he gave her was full of disgust and disappointment. He then pushed the button on his communication device and spoke into the receiver.

"Sigewinne, can you please send up two guards?"

"Roger that~" came Sigewinne's voice from the other end.

"Noooo!" Elise continued to wail, but Wriothesley paid no attention. A searing headache was starting to form and it was making him become irritable.

"Fine! I apologize for my mistake! I won't harm (y/n) anymore! I won't execute any more punishments without your approval! I'll take any disciplinary action, but please don't make me go away! I-"

Not one minute later, two guards entered the office and pulled Elise up from the ground.

"Take her away to the Overworld," ordered Wriothesley. "Her services are no longer required."

"Please! Don't do this! I... I remember who told me about taking advantage of the Abandoned Production Zone! It was-"

"Wait," Wriothesley gestured the guards to pause. "Speak."

Elise struggled against the guards and then stared at Wriothesley with puppy eyes. "If.. if I tell you, will you let me stay?"

"Absolutely not."

Elise lost all sanity at this point and began kicking and screaming. Everyone knew she was not going to share any additional information in this state. Wriothesley gestured the guards to continue what they were doing.

"You will regret this!!" Elise now yelled at the top of her lungs as she was being dragged outside of the office. You realized that this threat was directed at you and not Wriothesley. "Mark my words, you fucking whore! I will be back! And you will be sorry for what you did to me! Just you wait!!"

Once the office was quiet and peaceful again, Wriothesley let out a deep sigh. "(y/n), I am so sorry you had to see that."

You rose from your seat and approached Wriothesley at his desk. You took his hand and squeezed it.

"It's okay. I'm sorry you had to deal with that because of me."

Wriothesley squeezed your hand back appreciatively. "You're too kind. You didn't deserve any of that."

He just couldn't believe how corrupt Elise had become. He figured someone else had a hand in this. And it had to be that same person who gave Elise the idea to use the Abandoned Production Zone as a secret solitary confinement space. He made a mental note to revisit the zone and see if he could find any clues, as well as come up with a list of potential suspects. There was just so much happening in the Fortress that was becoming increasingly suspicious. He had a sinking feeling that there was something or someone plotting against him within the shadows. He was determined to find out.

He then shook his head from these unsavory thoughts and looked up at you, his mood instantly becoming better.

He pushed his worries aside for now and smirked at you. "So... are you still down for that round two?"

Unknown POV

Inside the Abandoned Production Zone, a figure secretly crept in the hallway, making their way towards a small room

Inside the Abandoned Production Zone, a figure secretly crept in the hallway, making their way towards a small room. He cracked open the door slightly.

"That guard has been dishonorably discharged as expected," he spoke through the opening to another figure who stood inside the room, their back turned. 

"Good."

The messenger cracked a crooked smile. "Shall we begin phase two?"

The person inside the room turned slightly. The stolen blueprint of the Fortress of Meropide was tucked under their arm. "Yes. We now know all the hidden passageways and entrances thanks to this blueprint you stole for me."

The messenger stood there proudly. "Well... I do pride in my stealth abilities."

"Keep this up, and you'll be sure to climb the ranks in no time," responded the person inside the room. 

"And what about (y/n)? Not only do we have to worry about the Duke's cryo vision, but also her anemo is going to cause us some problems. I've seen her fight inside the Pankration Ring. It was... something."

"She shall not be harmed. I have special plans for her."

The messenger was now confused. "So... don't kill her?"

"If she dies, you die."

The figure inside the room disappeared suddenly. The messenger clenched their fist. In his frustration, he accidentally let a bit of his pyro seep through, dropping bits of ash on the ground. He quickly turned on his heel and also exited the Abandoned Production Zone without being seen. 

A/N: Short chapter, but I hope you were satisfied with Elise getting slapped out of existence! 

I have a major personal project I'm working on right now, which means there may be some delay in the next chapters. 

Comment who you think is plotting against Wriothesley within the shadows!