The smell of home

Start from the beginning

"Well come on!" She chuckled, pulling Viktor forward by his hand. She tucked hers into his elbow.

Another worker had come out to collect the bags. They placed them all on a golden cart. Yuri looked on, amazed by how much Viktor had packed.

"You said, we were only staying for a few days." Yuri sighed. Viktor used his free hand to take Yuri's.

"We are, we are!" he laughed.

"But I haven't seen you for three days! I had to bring all your gifts!" he smiled brightly.

"Viktor!" Yuri moaned. He caught Makkachin's leash as the driver held it out to them.

"Don't be embarrassed! I love spoiling you! After they found that video...." Viktor shrugged.

Yuri let out a soft moan. He missed the wicked smile it brought to Viktor's lips. They stepped inside, where an older woman stood behind a podium that she could barely see over.

"What happened to your box, mom?" Yuri asked not seeing the small wooden crate she usually stood on.

"Weird thing to ask your mom, Yuri." Viktor muttered.

Yuri glanced at him, but didn't reply. His mom came out to hug him.

"It broke last week." She said.

"Yeah, she almost fell down the steps." Mari offered.

"One of our regulars was here, caught her just in time." She added as Yuri tried to see if his mother was injured.

"I will make you a better one!" Yuri promised.

"Well, that was just an old boxing crate." Mari huffed.

She checked the book to see that Viktor had booked a single room. Turning to Yuri, she had a smirk on her face as she asked him a question.

"Will you be rooming with your boyfriend, or using your old room?" She asked.

"Boyfriend?" his mother questioned, her eyes scanning the room. Only then did she see Viktor.

"Oh, hello there!" She smiled fondly at him.

"Hello, Mrs. Katsuki." Viktor bowed.

"What a lovely gentleman." Yuri's mom praised.

His dad came out of a side door. Yuri introduced Viktor to him. Mari huffed, saying they were spending too much time in the front hall. She hurried away, pulling Viktor with her. Yuri took his suitcase off of the cart, before the man followed after his sister. Turning, he walked in the opposite direction, not before checking to see what room they had put Viktor in.

It was their best one. He smiled. It wasn't that far from their living quarters. Walking the familiar halls, he nodded to guests. At the end of one hall, there was a door marked for employees only. Yuri walked through this, passing by the laundry rooms, he turned to walk up a flight of stairs.

It was stark here, no decorations. That was until you reached the top of the second landing. This was outside the family's apartment. It was the only sign, that promoted the once rising skating sensation. Pictures of Yuri, throughout the years, adorned the walls.

Typically, Yuri didn't come up this way. There was another, outdoor entrance, that he used when visiting. He noticed that some of the pictures, were from the past six years. Yuuko or possibly Miniko, gave them to his parents. He opened the door.

The smell of home wafted over him. He stood there, breathing in the scent of cherry Blossoms mixed with pine. It was like a hug to him. He stepped inside. Everything was super tidy. His mother was a great homemaker.

As he walked through, he touched little things, like the figurine Mari made in kindergarten, that always sat next to the coffee cups. His first trophy he won in his first competition, it sat beside the potted plant in the hallway, his dad's reading glasses, he always left them in the same place. He paused beside his mothers chair to see what book she was reading this week. These were the things that made this his home. He continued to his room.

Setting the bag, Viktor had packed, on the bed. Yuri glanced around. Aside from cleaning his room, his mother never touched anything in here. His trophies still lined his book shelf, medals hung from them. His skates were still in their bag under his desk. He sighed, home.

Why he never felt like his apartment in the city was like this, he didn't know. Sitting down in his chair, he smiled at the little squeak it always gave. He turned around, taking in everything. That's when his eyes went to the bag. What had Viktor packed for him.

He pushed the chair over. Opening the bag, he groaned. Not a single thing of clothing was inside! Good thing he always left clothes here! What was Viktor thinking? Yuri's hands roamed over the package, the bag a smallish box. He frowned.

Picking the bag out, he opened it. Inside was an assortment of expensive brand men's shampoo, conditioner, after shave, everything needed for grooming. He shook his head. He could only assume, Viktor guessed he had been wallowing! The next package he picked up was wrapped.

Carefully he pulled apart the tape. Inside was a box of scented candles. They were shaped like Cherry Blossoms. Yuri smiled at how thoughtful this gift was. He wondered if Viktor guessed it was the smell of home? He doubted it, since he had never told him bout his home.

Next was another package, this had a very nice hoodie in it. There was other clothes. A nice shirt, that would bring out the slight green in Yuri's eyes. Nice dress pants, fancy shoes. Yuri sighed. Viktor was going to take him out on a date, he was sure.

The box lay in his lap. He almost didn't want to open it. It was a deep rich blue with silver inlay. The name on it, he couldn't read the language it was printed in. The box alone was a gift, he thought to himself. Carefully, he untied the ribbon, a light blue that matched Viktor's eyes, before opening the box. Inside was a stunning white gold wrist watch. Yuri sighed.

He was going to have to tell Viktor to put a spending cap on the presents he bought him. There was no way he could ever repay this! Taking the watch out, he was about to slip it onto his wrist when he heard a noise outside of his room.

"Thank you! Oh may, this is lovely! It smells just like my Yuri! Cherry Blossoms and pine!" Viktor cried.

"Yuri loves Cherry Blossoms. He has a tree out his bedroom window." Mari's voice answered.

"Oooh, I would love to see it! Is it this way?" Before Yuri could do more than stand up, his bedroom door was opening.

"Ah! My lovely boyfriend! You opened your gifts!" Viktor cried out, rushing to hug Yuri.

"Just what we're you expecting me to wear all weekend?" Yuri asked as he hugged the taller man back.

"Oh, well, I was thinking about taking you on a shopping trip. Maybe Mari and Miniko would like to come too!" Viktor cried.

"Please tell me, she isn't here?" Yuri frowned toward the door.

It was filled with two women.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" One cried out as she barged in, pushing Viktor out of the way. She jiggled Yuri' stomach.

"This is unacceptable! How are you ever going to skate again, if you let yourself look like a fat little..."

"Piggy!" Viktor giggled, reminding Yuri of Yurio.

"This is why I plan my visits home!" Yuri whined.

"Well, nothing like staying true to yourself... oh my, did you win all of these. Oh I have this one too..." Viktor was off looking through Yuri's medals and trophies.