057 set the trap and watch

Beginne am Anfang

"Awh, you still think of me?" She pouted, her hand going to her chest, "How's the wife? Is it too early to tell if the baby is actually yours?"

"Fuck you."

"What were you doing yesterday night? Trailing after Newt and I?" Ariadne questioned, enjoying the irritation that appeared on Abbott's face. "Let's guess shall we? I'm thinking that you got orders from high above. You don't know what happened in a meeting they were in. But because my father asked you, you considered it done." She leant forward, watching as Abbott's microexpressions told her everything. "Now, you don't think about the consequences. You just want to impress your Godfather because daddy never gave you enough validation. You're seeking it elsewhere, especially when you're so low in Grindelwald's rank that you are desperate to climb up. You want the glory that he's promised but hasn't given you. Want to know why?"

Abbott's jaw was clenched, "Humour me."

"Because this is how he treats everyone," she asserted, condemning the tyrannical wizard, "You put him on a pedestal only for your efforts to be in vain."

"You're wrong," Abbott gibed, swallowing to hide the lie, "Something big is going to happen and you won't know what's coming at you until it breaks loose." He scowled at her, his temper close to being undone. She let his words sink in, eyes prying into his.

"Maybe I am wrong, maybe you do know more than I thought," she slowly stood up, towering over him, her voice low and raspy. "But, guess what? You are so easy to pick apart." She gave him one last wicked grin before turning her head, leaving all the men in the room confused. She walked out of the door with three of them following.

As Theseus locked the door, Wilton exploded, "What was that?" He didn't understand why Theseus would fight so hard just to have her mock Abbott. She didn't get any information out of him, she just humiliated Abbott.

"What was that?" She repeated, turning slowly around to face him. Arms crossed defensively against her chest, Theseus noticed the rage behind her eyes. "I got everything I needed from him."

"Oh, do tell,"

"One, Grindelwald is going to try and escape. Abbott said I won't know what's coming until 'it breaks loose.' What do you think that means?" Ariadne denounced, fuming. She was sick of Wilton and proving him wrong was so satisfying. "Two, I'm a Legilimen and Abbott was too provoked to even think about emptying his mind. Did you think my insults were just that?" She tilted her head to the side, daring him to oppose her. He glared down at her, nothing more to add. Just as Theseus stepped between them to intervene, Ariadne left. Merlin, could she kill him one day.

"You aren't to bother her until you receive her report. Am I clear?" Theseus' voice held more sharpness than anticipated, shocking both men in front of him. Swallowing, Wilton nodded. Sure, he was a dick to Ariadne, but he was still intimidated by his superiors, which included Theseus, his Head Auror. Slightly satisfied with Wilton's obedience, he moved after Ariadne, following in the same direction she left.

With everything fresh in her mind, Ariadne was currently writing the report for Theseus. She wanted to get it done and over with. With Abbott's anger in control, Ariadne was able to travel deep within his mind without him noticing. He was a fool for power and glory. Everything Ariadne had assumed was right. He didn't know why he was sent to find her. He just followed orders from Silas Nott, his favourite person.

It was more terrifying than she would ever admit knowing that her father was after her. Why did he want her captured? What would he gain with that? Silas Nott was percipient, logical. He never did anything without being two steps in front. Rarely was he ever shocked. He must have known that Abbott's attempt would fail, or he just had no faith in her abilities. Ariadne knew it wasn't the latter, he had basically built up her talents.

Blocking out everyone and everything, she didn't realise that everyone had left for lunch until Theseus practically sat on her desk. Her eyes snapped towards him, narrowing slightly. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," he shrugged.

She saw right through his facade, "Theseus."

"What?" He asked innocently. Suspicious but not sure of what, she went back to her report. Except, she couldn't concentrate with him there. She felt paranoid. What if he could read her mind and hear every problem she was over analysing? Within another moment, her quill snapped, causing her to groan. Childishly, she placed her head on the table, wishing that every responsibility would just slowly fade away. Theseus moved his hand to her shoulder, "Want to talk about it?"

A long sigh came out of Ariadne's mouth, "I just wish he had a little faith in my capabilities. He's just so frustrating." It didn't take a genius to figure out who Ariadne was referring to. Wilton had never not been annoying. His arrogance seemed to reek from him, drowning in everything he did. It didn't help that he thought Ariadne was weak due to her femininity. If only she could unleash her anger with no consequences.

"And you aren't?" Theseus teased, hoping to lift up her spirits and for a second, her expression seemed to relax.

"Admit he deserves it," she said, rolling her eyes at Theseus' comment while she raised her head.

"I'm always on your side," he assured and her eyes seemed to soften. She tried to fight back a smile that was threatening to disrupt the very serious mood she was in. With no one in the room, Theseus placed his hand on her cheek, guiding her face closer so that he could kiss her. Her body relaxed within his hold, every worry rolling off her shoulders with the taste of him on her lips.

"Theseus, we need to talk," she breathed as they pulled apart.

"Tonight," he told her, "Promise. I'll have the answer to your question." His eyes seemed to catch motion behind Ariadne causing him to move back, keeping a safe distance between them as the door to the auror office opened. Ariadne turned in time to see Bailey and Melinda step inside.

"Are you still miserably writing that report?" Bailey questioned while Melinda winced at his poor choice of words.

"How kind of you to notice," Ariadne imitated, but no malice hung from her words. She hadn't realised all of her friends had noticed her moping. Just like that, she remembered how grateful she was for each individual standing in the office.

"I know, that's why I was sorted into Hufflepuff," he said as a matter of fact, chucking a grin towards the raven witch who playfully glared at his self righteous behaviour.

"Pushover," Ariadne muttered under her breath, magically moving her broken quill into the bin.

Bailey gasped, feigning offence. "You take that back, snake." His words only fuelled Ariadne's smirk, amused to see him so outraged. Theseus chuckled and Bailey sharply turned to him. "Defend your house, Theseus."

"I learned not to cross the ambitious," Theseus held his hands up, glancing at Ariadne who bit back a smile, "I yield."

Melinda shook her head at the childish antics of her three friends. "What Bailey was supposed to ask, was lunch?"

"Of course," Ariadne answered, fondly. Bailey was still glaring at Ariadne as he was pushed out by Melinda. From her desk, Theseus offered his hand and Ariadne took it without hesitation, only breaking after they left the sanctuary of the office.

[1764 words] 

a/n

i've started editing act 1, chapters 0-4 have recently been updated and i've like doubled the word count on each of those chapters. its mostly just ornaments, small little details that deepen the plot line. 

anyways, we like ariadne's interrogation scene?

how's my life? school sucks and is overbearing. imma step on it one day.

kjlyds