Chapter 24: Headband

Start from the beginning

"Excuse me! All participants please come inside the court." his voice was not that loud but it was heard in every corner of the court. It just makes you want to obey what he said, Me and Fishlegs went inside the court and the others did too.

"Mom, look after me." I muttered.

The man instructed all of us to sit in front of him, Fishlegs and I sat at the far back.

"Hello. I'm Coach Eret Eretson. You can call me Coach E. Almost all of the players of the Dragons have already graduated and only three players left so to complete the team we need 12 more. I know that our team is not the best, we're far from the best like 25th out of all the 25 teams in the nation best." he announced, "But I feel like this year, it's all going to change. I hope that you'll do your best and please don't hold any grudge or anger towards me or the players that will be chosen." he added, "Yes sir." All the participants responded. "Let's start this try-outs." he declared.

Narration:

Hiccup was busy stretching and loosening up his body making sure the blood was flowing when suddenly out of nowhere, the spectators become chaotic and noisy.

Hiccup got curious at what caused the sudden uproar from the people watching, he quickly realized what it was when he saw the arrival of a certain someone, namely Astrid Hofferson.

They immediately made eye contact as soon as she entered the gym, she and her friends made their way to the stands.

Even the participants was overjoyed because the 'Valkyrie' herself came to the gym to watch the try-outs.

Hiccup's POV

Astrid was looking straight at me, I immediately understood what she was trying to say.

"Wear the headband." I nodded at her as I went to my bag, then I saw her stand up from where she was sitting and move near to where my bag was.

"Hey Hiccup. You're joining the try-outs?" Amanda asked and I can see the questioning eyes of the people around them, "Yeah.", "Do your best." she smiled at me, "This is no problem for you." the twins followed, "Thanks." I pulled out the headband from my bag, when I did that the people there even became more surprised.

I tried putting it on by myself and I saw the other participants looking at me, Fishlegs had his mouth wide open that it almost touched the ground.

I was having trouble tying it when I heard someone tell me, "Let me." it was Astrid.

That was when all hell broke loose, everyone in the stands was taking pictures of us, talking about us, and asking so many questions about us.

They finally know who was always seen with Astrid at lunch for the past 4 days and the one with her in the photo published in the article.

"It's official." I heard her say as she tied the ninja-style headband on my head, "There's no going back now." I replied as we did our secret handshake and we finished doing the kill gesture when she said to me, "Kill it out there." she offered a fist bump, "Of course I will. My girlfriend is watching." I tapped my fist with her, I smiled as I ran back towards Fishlegs.

Astrid's POV

I walked back towards the others, "Woah! I thought you were taking it slow. Is that a public announcement?" Heather commented, "Announcement? What are you talking about?" I replied, "Don't play dumb. You just gave him your headband, it was like you're saying 'This is my boyfriend!' to everyone here." she told me, "What's wrong with that?", "Nothing, of course. It's just the first time I saw you do something like that.", "It was nothing, I just wanted to help him.", "Nothing? I think they would disagree." she pointed out the screams and shouts from the people there.

Hiccup's POV

"You... and... Astrid? You lied to me." Fishlegs stated, "I know... I know... Let's talk after we secure spots in the roster." I told him and he nodded without saying anything.

When we huddled I can feel the piercing glares from everyone not only from the participants but the spectators as well. Coach E instructed us to do some drills; dribbling, rebounding, passing, and shooting.

I was able to execute the drills as best as I can and I barely missed any shots, when I shot my last shot for the shooting drill, Coach E approached me, "Good seeing you here. Nice shooting form." he walked passed by me, "Thank you sir." I told him as I watch the others.

I saw Fishlegs was also doing extremely well, he improved very much from the last time I saw him play.

After finishing the drills, we continued to the highlight of the try-outs; the scrimmage. We were distributed into teams, from all the participants present we were able to form 6 teams of 5 players each.