Living the American dream was fun until it wasn't. It seemed to come crashing down at her all at once. It began with her parents being in the midst of a divorce but still living in the same house out of the belief that it was best for their daughter. As if she could not hear the endless discussions and the reasoning behind the divorce— Oriana's secret lover.

This new bitterness in her parents and the whole situation provoked a change in Daphne, her whole persona just flipped. She quit piano and got kicked out of soccer for engaging in a physical fight with a teammate, her grades slipped drastically and she got suspended from school. This causes yet another endless fight between Oriana and Patrick for Daphne to drown out.

It might be the reason why Oriana snuck out in the middle of the night with all her belongings and fled— presumably to Philadelphia (her natal state). No note, no goodbye, nothing. Just up and out.

It was a shock for the town of Hawkins that the couple that seemed so in love were bound for a divorce. It was even worse when Oriana decided to leave. It hit Daphne like a truck does a deer. She could not really process what was happening and just lay in bed, with no tears capable of slipping out of her eyes. She only allows Steve and her cousin, June, inside her room. But Steve always stays there the longest just sitting next to her. Daphne's barely thirteen and people are calling her damaged goods behind her back. A fallen star. The Gods are laughing endlessly, content with what they've accomplished.

Steve's parents forbid him from seeing her since it's ruining their image (the Lauriers were their business partners and were now cutting off ties). For a little while, he snuck around to see her and they made sure his parents don't find out. That's all before the basketball season began and he became busier. It was around that time that his teammates and newfound friends teased him for being friends with her. The odd girl who just keeps quiet and sits in the back. So, he made the choice that will boost his image and begins to ignore Daphne. He made sure to leave before she can spot him, doesn't answer her calls which were scheduled for when his parents weren't home, doesn't go over to see her, nothing. He just bails.

Daphne assumed that he had just gotten busy and did not blame him for it (even though she was missing him like crazy). She just gave him the space he was hinting he needed, maybe she had been drowning him with her problems and she hadn't realized what he needed. Until she overhears Steve and his friends talking about her. She confronts him about it and for ignoring her, he simply says she's too much for him and he doesn't want to be friends anymore. They have a huge fight about it and call each other things that they never thought they'd say to the other.

     Her world is about to collapse and the person she's going to want feels far away from her grasp. The gods are not yet done torturing her.

     On the coldest of nights, Patrick pecks a small kiss on Daphne's head and walks out the front door. But unlike Oriana, he did not make it far, having crashed his car and died upon impact. Daphne was woken up in the middle of the night by her aunt and uncle, who were assigned to break the news to her. Everyone around her is weeping but she's already out of tears. They tried tracking down Oriana but did not find her.

Her uncle and aunt, Emile and Priscilla, agree to take her in. Her cousin, June, is thrilled and eventually turns into what Daphne considers her sister. It's because of this new life she was launched into that she eventually gets better.

    From her neck hangs a golden chain with a heart that June gifted her on her fourteenth birthday— Daphne takes it as a symbol of the golden heart she was blessed with. It's what encourages her to put her past behind her, lock it in a chest, and move on. (Even though it looms on her like a whisper of gentle breeze). She grows into her beauty and her bitter heart has begun to mend. This brings her to a stage of somewhat popularity. She doesn't mind it. It's better than people calling her a lost cause. It's the bridge to becoming close friends with James 'Monty' Montgomery and Peter Whitlock. And also, Nancy Wheeler, a girl she's known forever and managed to reconnect with.