Chapter 4: Welcome to New York

Start from the beginning

"Man, I'm so hungry," Prince quipped from beside him as he scrolled on his phone. He has already covered himself with the blanket, looked cozy in his seat, and stopped reading whatever it was on his phone to frown at Matthew.

Matthew turned to him with a roll of his eyes and said to point out the obvious, "I'm not the flight attendant, Your Highness."

"Anyway," Prince chuckled and continued to read what he was reading from his phone. "Have you read your email? Tyler sent some questions Cosmopolitan might ask, so you might want to review them."

"Okay," Matthew obliged, pulling out his phone from his pocket. He immediately went to his email and tapped onto the first mail he saw—which was labeled as "important" and sent by Tyler.

There was a short message for him as a reminder to read it—which Matthew rolled his eyes at and ignored it—and came with the message was the attachment of questionnaires Cosmopolitan liked to ask for their magazine interviews.

He tapped on the attachment and waited for his phone to load the document for a few minutes. When it finally loaded, the first thing Matthew saw was the topic they were going to have on the day of the interview—which was his celebrity status and popularity for the last few years.

Although that was the topic, Matthew has a hunch that he might get asked impromptu questions about romantic relationships; both present and past of his romance, it was a good idea to have an answer ready to avoid furthermore questions. That was always Tyler's advice about his interviews.

One by one, he worked on the questions like an overdue high school assignment; asking Prince for help every once in a while, when he was blanking out on a question.

What do you think of the development of your career?

If all questions were easy like this, Matthew wouldn't have a hard time going through the interview.

In terms of the status quo, do you think the industry needs more diverse actors like you?

Matthew found himself frowning at the question. He didn't know whether this was a trick question or not, so he turned to Prince to ask for help.

"That's a simple question, Matt. Answer it as honest as you could," his assistant manager said as he squinted his eyes to read off of Matthew's phone. He was in the middle of eating a snack as there was a forkful of spaghetti on his hand.

"I know that, but isn't it kind of tricky?" Matthew asked in confusion.

Prince stared at him with an incredulous look for a few seconds as if Matthew didn't know anything he was asking about, before he put down his fork with a soft clang to his plate and opened his mouth to retort something in reply.

"Dude, you've been in the industry for twelve years. It's not a racist question because you're half black and excellent in what you do. There's no wrong answer in that question."

Matthew stayed silent, focused his gaze on his assistant manager, and listened intently to what he has to say.

"You can't overthink something so trivial. It's only a magazine interview. And we're not even sure if we're getting that question, plus we'll be with you so you're safe."

Prince finished with a snap of his fingers and a look of sass, and he immediately shoved his fork full of spaghetti in his mouth.

"Okay," Matthew said nonchalantly after a few moments of silence, though his face was breaking out into a smile he couldn't contain. "Got it, Your Highness. I love you too."

"I love your money," his assistant manager joked as he chuckled and continued eating his beloved spaghetti.

For the remaining flight hours, Matthew finished reviewing the list of questions he was given, and he sighed out in relief. Finally, it has been approximately two hours since he started his homework, and if he was being honest, he was already too tired of reading the questions before they even get to New York.