Welcome to Hogwarts

Start from the beginning

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall says. "The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room."

She pauses and takes a look around. You suppose it's for the student to take everything in, or maybe it's for dramatic effect.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points." You see her eyes linger on a few students before she continues. "At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting." Again you see her stare at certain students, her eyes showing slight judgment. A few kids already trying to fix their appearance

"I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." She turns on her heel and leaves the chamber.

As soon as she is gone people start to whisper. You overhear people talking about a test, spells and houses they want to be sorted into. You weren't sure if there was a test but it certainly made you anxious.

You feel as if a cold bucket of water was thrown on you at the realization that the 'test' could be related to spells. You didn't know many and your mind seemed to go blank when trying to recall one.

A girl with bushy brown hair was mumbling quite quickly about all the spells she knew. You were beyond overwhelmed. She seemed to be more prepared with prior knowledge.

You're beyond startled when people behind you begin to scream. You whip your head around so fast that it hurts. You are met with the sight of multiple ghosts coming through the back wall. You take a few deep breaths to get a hold of yourself although you're still shaken.

They seem to be in a deep conversation and hadn't noticed you. At least you thought they hadn't noticed you until one ghost that was wearing a ruff and tights pointed you out. He was in the middle of a sentence, interrupting himself to ask what you all were doing there, nobody had answered though.

"New students!" The Friar says. The other ghost had called him that, you supposed that his name wasn't used often. "About to be Sorted, I suppose?"

You nod along with a few other students, confirming his suspicions.

"Hope to see you in Hufflepuff! My old house, you know."

Out of the corner of your eye you see Draco scoff and roll his eyes. He turns and whispers something to Crabbe and Goyle but you aren't able to hear much.

Out of nowhere you hear Professor McGonagalls voice, "Move along now, the Sorting Ceremony's about to start."

You turn to face her as the ghosts leave. She brings her attention to all the students. "Now form a line and follow me."

You end up in line behind the red haired boy from earlier, with Draco and his followers behind you and walk out of the chamber, across the hall and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

The place was beautiful. There were four long tables, each one filled with students. As you look up you see candles floating above the tables. At the top of the hall there was another table where the teachers were sitting.

You are led to the top of the hall with the other first year students. Even though you know they probably weren't staring at you, the feeling of so many people looking in your direction overwhelms you. You try to look everywhere but the peering eyes.

Looking up at the ceiling you are amazed by the ceiling that seems to be littered with stars. It calms you down for a bit. Professor McGonagall placed a stool down and then a pointy wizards hat on top of it. You can't help but notice how worn down it looks with all of the patching and dirt.

The hat twitched a bit before what looked like a tear near the brim of the hat opened wide and it began to sing.

You zone out during the song, the song was quite silly in your opinion. You summed it up to be about the houses and the hat being the one to place you in your house, it was quite simple really. You were relieved it wasn't an actual test.

When the hat was done almost the entire hall applauded. The hat moved as though it was bowing. Professor McGonagall stepped forward as the applause died down.

She was holding a long roll of parchment. You were curious as to what was on it. Your question is answered as she continues.

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She says before taking a quick look at the parchment. "Abbott, Hannah!"

A girl stumbles to get to the stool and put on the hat. It's only a few seconds before the hat shouts, "HUFFLEPUFF!"

The table erupts into cheers and applause as Hannah sits down.

"Bones, Susan!"

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Boot, Terry!"

"RAVENCLAW!"

You couldn't help but feel a bit queasy. You aren't sure where you would end up or who you would be friends with, if you made any. Crabbe and Goyle had already gotten sorted into Slytherin.

When you hear Dracos name you immediately turn your attention to him. He seemed so confident walking up to the stool. The hat had barely touched him before it shouted, "SLYTHERIN."

He went to join Crabbe and Goyle looking smug.

Unfortunately you were up next. You tried to walk up as calmly as possible and hoped that you didn't look as nervous as you felt.

You sat on the stool, hat on your head and waited in anticipation for what house you would end up in.

"You seem like the smart type....yes...very logical! However your heart can get the best of you. You're a passionate one. Very ideal, creative too. You have lots of potential, each house will help you grow."

You look at the crowd that seems to be watching curiously. When your eyes meet Draco's you look away quickly. His expectant gaze stays on you. You know he probably expects you to be in Slytherin too and you fear what might happen if you're not.

At last the hat came to its decision.

"...the best fit for you would be..

__________________________________

Hi there my loves! Feel free to write comments and suggestions. All feedback is appreciated. I hope you enjoy the story so far.