2.2 - strike first

Start from the beginning

Miguel could instantly see that she was hiding something, and he was determined to figure out what, but he decided to leave it alone for now, not wanting to push the girl.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Miguel frowned.

"No it's okay, really." She smiled before hesitating. "What happened to your dad? If you don't mind me asking."

Miguel's face relaxed, "I never met him. My mom said that he was dangerous, and that he lives in Mexico." He muttered cluelessly.

"Do you think you'll ever want to meet him?" The girl asked in interest.

"I've thought about it. But to be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start." He stated before changing the subject.

"Since we're friends now, I'm determined to get you to go to school at least 4 days a week." Miguel smirked mischievously.

"Yeah good luck Diaz."

•      •      •      •

The group of four were gathered around the table conversing whilst eating their dinner. Carmen and Yaya wanted to know more about the girl their son was so friendly with.

"So Scarlet, what do you like to do on your free time?" Carmen questioned with a smile.

Scarlets eyes widened her mouth agape. She remembered Miguel mentioning how his mother did not agree with violence, which was a big part of Scarlet's habits.

"Uh-" She paused, throwing a panicked look at the boy next to her, "I hang out with my friend Madi a lot. We like to watch movies and go for car rides around the city." Technically, it wasn't a lie.

"I also hang out with this kid named Eli, we've been friends our whole lives." She commented.

Carmen smiled at that as Yaya looked at her suspiciously.

"So, what ahout you and Miguel? What do you guys do when you hang out?" The elderly woman questioned, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

Scarlet cleared her throat, sending an incredulous look to the boy.

"Yaya!" Miguel snapped in embarrassment.

"Mama." Carmen sent her a look.

"What? I'm just trying to see how much they really like each other, daughter." The older woman smirked.

Scarlet sat there awkwardly, not being able to understand, but as she looked at Miguel's face, she knew it was mad.

Her own cheeks started to heat up. As she awkwardly laughed with the women.

"I am only teasing sweetheart." Yaya chuckled as Carmen shook her head.

Scarlet smiled, changing the subject as everyone finished eating, "I'll wash the dishes." She spoke kindly, doing everything she could not to seem like a burden.

"No."

"Nonsense child"

"Absolutely not!" Instant disagreements clashed at the same time.