Chapter 26: The Capital

Start from the beginning

The Healer grimaced, then followed him.

Both had little time to loiter at New Frontierland. After all, the entire aluminum scheme that blew up in Fraul's face was her mess to clean up.

Or, as Ronn would put it, "The Mage has taken out obligations that she must repay back," or some such statement that Junil found far too formal for a disaster such as this. The Healer suspected that Ronn even wanted to help Fraul pay off her debts, but due to his current lack of funds on hand, he had to refrain.

Good riddance on that, at least. Fraul needed to learn some humility.

Regardless, the Healer had swiped at least a dozen potions to hide in various pockets all over her clothes. Considering that potions were ridiculously cheap now, after the potion market crashed, it wasn't all that difficult to pick up a few high-quality potions now.

Ronn had used his authority to obtain additional fast ship tickets to the Capital, under the reasoning of it being a crucial emergency. Additionally, he had also obtained seasickness medicine for the Healer.

They couldn't get a messenger pigeon to the Capital on such short notice, though. So they needed to head there via boat.

"It's nice being on a ship and not being sick," Junil muttered. "At least you didn't forget the medicine this time."

"I did not forget because I recall the condition you were under in the last instance," Ronn replied. "Due to how crucial this is, I must ensure you are in good health when we apprehend the Second Coming."

"How considerate of you."

The fast boat rocked as it neared the Capital. Only an hour had passed into the trip when Ronn stirred from where he was sitting.

"I smell smoke," he said. "There is a fire nearby."

Junil sniffed the air. She, too, could smell the faint burning of something.

"Can you tell what's burning?" the Healer asked. "I hope it's not this ship."

"Very unlikely for it to be," the Hero replied. "Otherwise, the smell would be far more pronounced. No, it appears to be coming from..."

Ronn pointed at the horizon, and Junil's eyes followed the direction he pointed at.

Several pillars of smoke were what had caught the Hero's attention.

"The Capital."

The two were in mute silence, before the Healer asked, "...What? This isn't... What's happened at the Capital?"

"The Second Coming is what happened here," the Hero replied. "We are still several minutes away. Brace yourself, Miss Junil."

The fast ship had soon pulled into the port of the Capital, where various assorted boats and ships were pulling out of the chaos-stricken harbor. Several ships at dock had been set aflame. Several water mages from the nearby garrison seemed to be trying to put it out, as plumes of seawater splashed onto the burning vessels.

Crates and barrels of product had been thrown overboard, the fast boat bumping into them on its way in.

"It looks like we can't dock!" the captain of the ship yelled. "It's way too dangerous!"

Ronn grunted, upon hearing that. Without warning, he picked up the Healer.

"Wha—? Ronn, what are you—?"

He didn't give Junil time to finish her question. The Hero began running across the deck of the ship.

"Ronn, stop this—!"