Chapter 24: Ralek

Start from the beginning

"Nicely spotted, Lady Sollar," General Forge said. "C'mon, let's go."

The glass windows of the establishment allowed the duo to see the variety of merchandise inside. Lined up were a variety of products, from candles and jarred food to necessities such as flour, salt, and sugar.

As General Forge opened the door, a bell hanging to the door frame rang. He held the door open to allow Sollar to step through. As he waited for her to step in, the Demonfolk General glanced around the store, to see who was in there.

Two shoppers were browsing or idly looking at what was on display. There was an impressive display of merchandise across the entire store, even with a front counter with what appeared to be a menu for even more products or services on it.

An old man with white hair was at the counter. General Forge assumed that it was Strellson in question. He certainly looked like someone named 'Strellson'.

"Good morning, welcome to Strellson's supplies. Lookin' for something today?" the man asked.

"I'm looking for a job," General Forge said. "A short term one. Someone said I could go to you for one."

Immediately, Strellson's demeanor changed. Not in the bad way, but the old man's smile seemed to widen as he tilted his head down. Both his hands came together, almost like he was scheming.

"Really? Who referred me to you?" he asked.

"A Wisp named Winnsol," General Forge said. "You know her?"

"Winnol, huh? Yes, I do know her. She buys some equipment from me. And is a good source of information."

He said the last sentence in a slightly hushed tone. The atmosphere felt a little tense as General Forge realized that he could interpret that sentence in about a half-dozen ways. Even Sollar could feel it, she was tugging on the Demonfolk General's sleeve.

"Forr-ar," she whispered. "I don't like it here."

Despite that, the Demonfolk General persisted.

"Well, I'm just looking for a job. Nothing more."

"Nothing more? Really?" Strellson asked.

General Forge shrugged. "I mean, why else would I be here? To buy flour?"

Strellson scrutinized the two of them for about twenty seconds. Then, he dropped the demeanor, and grinned.

"Well, ain't that a relief?" he asked. "I don't mind helping a pair of fellows just looking to make an honest buck."

"Huh?" General Forge asked. "What do you mean? And what was that about?"

Strellson shielded his face and gestured for General Forge to step closer.

"Considering you're one of the wanted Demonfolk Generals, I'd have assumed you were here for some other reason. One that wouldn't have been good for conducting my business," the store owner whispered.

Now that had brought General Forge on guard, as the man moved his hand down. His halberd was on his back, the poleaxe wrapped in cloth to make it look like a set of tools.

Strellson raised both of his arms, but kept his smile.

"Oh, changing your mind, young'un?" he asked. "I hope not."

However, General Forge was focused on a different thing.

"How do you know that I'm one of the Generals?" he asked. "I never mentioned that to anyone."

"A little Wisp brought me the information. Said I was gonna be meeting you sometime this morning," the Human store owner replied. "Now, of course, I'm gonna be a little skeptical of a fella like you. Can't blame me, can you?"