Chapter 8: We're All Parentless

Start from the beginning

"No need to apologize, Miss Silverthorn. Did you sleep well?" Percy asked, looking down at his watch as if he was waiting for someone else.

No, I never sleep well. Penelope thought, but she didn't want to ruin the conversation over her struggles.

"Uh,"

"Insomniac too?"

Penelope let down her shoulders, nodding, "Yes. You too?"

Percy altered himself at the questioning, and shrugged, "I've had a pretty rough few years, but nothing severe."

Penelope Silverthorn wondered what Percy's life was like. She had only met him a few times and didn't know much. She knew Sebastian Sallow held more information than she did, but the chances of asking him were at zero.

Penelope opened her mouth, wanting to question Percy's concerns, but before she could attempt a word, another third person joined the team.

It was only September. The weather was a nice contrast between the beginning of autumn weather and the end of summer, making the temperature in-between for dressing up and debating sweats or chills.

Sebastian Sallow dressed in a thin collared shirt, thin enough to not produce sweat over the shining sun, and beige pants that ensemble his figure.

The man was handsome. Everyone knew that.

Penelope Silvethorn knew that. She dated him.

Penelope froze at the sight, the abrupt arrival of Professor Sallow becoming unguarded. What were the odds, again?

"Professor Sallow, I debated whether you were joining us this morning or not. I know you're busy—"

"I am," Sebastian answered Percy while adjusting the sleeves of the white shirt, "But in the evening."

"And do not forget we have dinner with my parents this weekend, Sebastian. Mandatory." Cecil Greengrass's voice echoed through Penelope's head.

Why do I remember this? It was none of my business that Sebastian Sallow had dinner with his fiancée's parents this weekend. None of my business at all.

"Miss Silverthorn, I hope you do not mind the extra hand. It's usually common for Professor Sallow to take notes during our trips and observations. He's quite expertise in that." Percy introduced to her.

Penelope felt like there was a hair stuck in her throat. It was all in her head, but she remembered clearing her throat like two times at the presence.

"Hm, no, not minding at all." Penelope faked a smile, avoiding Sebastian's face.

Again, Penelope then took the realization that she was holding onto Sebastian's journal in her hand. If she had known that he would bloody be there, there wouldn't have been a more obvious place to hold it, but now it was too late.

"Oh, uh," Penelope brought up the journal at him, "I presume you'll want this back for note-taking,"

Sebastian kept one hand inside a pant pocket while the other stayed on his side as he spoke to Penelope.

"No need. I have a spare." Sebastian commented, "You might need it for note-taking yourself."

Penelope just nodded.

How ironic that she had just gotten permission to write in Sebastian Sallow's journal after the last paper she wrote on years ago was gone.

Get over, Pen. It's 1900 now.