Chapter 9: Mandrel

Start from the beginning

"Pardon?" the Hero asked. "What may you be referring to?"

"My halberd. Mandrel. I can't find anyone to fix it yet, so I've basically got nothing to my name."

The Demonfolk General continued speaking, as he turned halfway around on the heel of his foot.

"Now, if you're done with your talking, I'll take a nice, long walk outside just so I can stay as far away from you as—"

"Wait."

General Forge frowned at Ronn's interruption. He also stopped, in part because Ronn had grabbed him by the arm.

The two stood there, tense.

"What is it? I don't have much time," the General asked.

"I find it slightly suspect that you happen to be here, as we are surveying this location," the Hero stated. "What are you doing out here, at Grand Elm?"

General Forge pause extended for a few heartbeats.

"What I'm doing out here?" he asked. "Well, I wanna know why you're so eager to see me in the first place. Covered that distance from the table to here in, what, five paces?"

"That is irrelevant," the Hero replied. "I simply wish for an answer to the question that I have. Nothing more."

General Forge scoffed. "Fine. If you want to know so badly, I'm just working as... a laborer now. Nothing more, nothing less."

The Demonfolk General stared at the Hero. He then looked down to his arm, which was still held by the armored glove of the Hero.

"Can I go now?" General Forge asked. "Or are you gonna laugh at me, a General, for working as a simple laborer?"

Ronn replied almost immediately.

"You hesitated when talking about your occupation."

"Oh, for goodness's sake!" the General exclaimed, turning back to face the Hero. "Who wouldn't hesitate if the Hero himself was right in front of him?"

"You were not contacting the Demon Lord at all, were you?"

General Forge recoiled at that question. "What? No. You guys severed the connection ages ago. C'mon, let's not make a commotion here..."

Indeed, the conversation between the two was beginning to attract attention from the other patrons of the inn.

"You plan on turning a new leaf?"

"Well, I'm just making money. What's wrong with that? There's nothing wrong with that, is there?"

While the Hero wasn't so willing to lend his trust to a former General of the Demon Lord, he could tell that General Forge said not a single falsehood.

"Very well. You may take your leave."

Ronn released General Forge's arm. The General pulled it back and rubbed where his metal gloves had gripped his arm harshly.

"Is that it?" the Demonfolk General asked. "I expected some more... well, resistance."

"That is it," came Ronn's reply. "However, I do wish to discuss matters with you at a later time. Not immediately, but in the near future."

"And I was hoping I wouldn't see ya again."

General Forge took a few steps towards the door, then looked back at the Hero. He waited a moment, as if unsure the Hero was really willing to let him go. Then, he stepped out, the bell on the tavern's door ringing with his departure.

Ronn stared at the door, as though he was thinking. His attention would snap away the moment Junil grabbed him by the arm, guiding him back to the table they had sat at.